Twin, directed by Ciarán Dooley

• Premium Member

Last year I shot a short-film called Twin, directed by a really good friend of mine, Ciarán Dooley and funded by Screen Ireland. 

Twin

Screen Ireland has a scheme called Short Stories, where 5 filmmakers get 20K and have to deliver a 5 minutes short-film and other 5 filmmakers get 50K and have to deliver a 10 minutes short-film. 

Ciarán submitted Twin's script to the 5 minutes scheme since it was meant to be a short story anyways... and he got the funding! So we got to shoot a great fun project!

My main reference for Twin was a short-film called Corazon, directed by John Hillcoat and shot by Bradford Young.

We shot over 2 days in Dublin and Wicklow and we had a couple of pick-up days for certain scenes. 

Lighting package was really minimal for the two days: 3 x M18, 1 x 1.2K, 3 x blondes, 2 x Sodium Vapor lamps and 1 x Skypanel S60.

We used an Alexa Mini + Kowa Anamorphic lenses from Vast Valley and I shot at 3200ASA; I also underexposed everything by 2 stops.

Hope you like it! 

Have a lovely day!

Edited by Miguel Angel

• Premium Member

Looks luscious Miguel, I still don't know how you manage to get away with 3200 ISO on the Alexa - my pictures just turn to mush, but yours look lovely!

Post up the full film when you can, I'd love to see it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 10/6/2019 at 3:46 PM, Mark Kenfield said:

Looks luscious Miguel, I still don't know how you manage to get away with 3200 ISO on the Alexa - my pictures just turn to mush, but yours look lovely!

Post up the full film when you can, I'd love to see it.

Thanks Mark!!! 

I have no idea either!! Maybe because I like blacks being dense?? 
Although I have to say that I shot a short documentary on the Super 16 mode at 3200ASA with the super low contrast LUT from Arri and the noise was really beautiful! 

it really was an eye opener to shoot with that low contrast LUT. 

On 10/6/2019 at 8:15 PM, Satsuki Murashige said:

Nice Miguel! Love the use of color. I notice that you seem to really like strong reds. 

You’ve made an art of underexposing that Alexa, you are much ballsier that me. 3200 ISO makes me nervous! ?

Thanks Satsuki!!!! :) 

Red is my favourite colour but I never thought or noticed that I have been using strong reds.. but probably you're right! 
Ah! Come on!! Shoot something at 3200ASA and you will love it! :D 

• 2 months later...