Should I buy Canon C300 M2 or Sony FS7 M2

Harshad V. Gaikwad

Hi,

In the current scenario, with price of C300M2 and FS7M2 almost same at around $9000, needed a suggestion as to which one to go for. The camera would be used to shoot fiction, documentaries and corporate films. Also when not in use by myself, I plan to rent it out. I understand from previous threads that producers are usually asking for FS7. Being fairly new to the industry, I needed to know if producers globally ask for FS7 or in just some specific countries. 

As this would be my first cinema camera, I would like to know which camera will pay for itself sooner?

Thanks

H

Edited by Harshad V. Gaikwad

In the UK the FS7 is more in demand then the C300.

Image quality aside its also easier to hand hold, the shape of the C300 is a bit awkward.

Also might be worth holding on for (and saving up) for the FX9 as that represents the latest tech and will probably be much more in demand compared to either the C300 or FS7

52 minutes ago, Phil Connolly said:

In the UK the FS7 is more in demand then the C300.

Image quality aside its also easier to hand hold, the shape of the C300 is a bit awkward.

Also might be worth holding on for (and saving up) for the FX9 as that represents the latest tech and will probably be much more in demand compared to either the C300 or FS7

Hey Phil,  Thanks for the reply. Yes it seems worth saving and waiting for with FX9 or C500 m2(both FF), also with rumours of C300M3 launch around. 

Having said that BM ursa mini 4.6K and Panasonic EVA1, provide similar specs at lower cost. Any comments about industry acceptance for these two cameras would really be helpful.

Regards,

H.

25 minutes ago, Harshad V. Gaikwad said:

Having said that BM ursa mini 4.6K and Panasonic EVA1, provide similar specs at lower cost. Any comments about industry acceptance for these two cameras would really be helpful

They both look like fine cameras, both are quiet rare in the UK, the BM less so then the EVA1. Your market my be different.

But when clients have specifically requested a camera model on jobs I've gone up for its either been FS7, C300 or Red.

Black magic and Panasonic don't have as much brand penetration which may or may not be an issue depending on how you sell yourself and your kit.

I guess if a client asked for an FS7 you could talk them into using the BM or EVA, but its an easier sell to have the specific item they are asking for. At the mid range corporate/broadcast/documentary that camera they ask for here is usually the FS7 - with Arri owning the high end. 

Of course not all corporate clients are going to spec a specific camera, beyond asking for 4K etc.. but if you want to hire it out, something with brand recognition is good.

Also maybe the RED Komodo is worth considering if the release schedule works for you

https://ymcinema.com/2019/10/07/komodo-6k-camera-a-badass-little-red/

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Phil Connolly said:

Also maybe the RED Komodo is worth considering if the release schedule works for you

https://ymcinema.com/2019/10/07/komodo-6k-camera-a-badass-little-red/

This seems to be an interesting move from Red. Is trying to hit the $10k camera market. Will follow this camera as well before deciding.

• Premium Member

Here in LA, at least, I have never been asked for either a Black Magic or a Panasonic. The Panasonic I have never used, ever, and the BMs I have used, but normally they have been a "well let's save money on camera rental and put more of the (small) budget into lighting" with a BM camera. I do rather like the Pocket 4K, though, and that might be a worthwhile investment on hand as you can C camera it on other shows, and it's size can be helpful (and price).

As for FS7 or C300, in LA, at least, it's been MUCH more C300 (though I really dislike that camera. For me, at least, I haven't been asked for an FS7, though I have many times suggested and shot on it as I personally like it more (for many reasons).

All that said, I would wait to buy until the FX9 or C whatever number. Not because you might pick one up, but because there will be more on the used market of the 7 and C300 which may lower price enough. However, if you can get the 9 when it hits the wild, I would go for the newer tech as it'll be an easier sell (selling up -v- down). I can't think of many clients who would turn down the newer breed of cameras.

• Upvote 1

The only time I've been asked for C300's is on jobs for US clients when they want a UK crew to shoot an interview/segment for a US production. 

The BM pocket 4K is also very good value for money, I've used it on  several jobs with good results. Clients have never specifically asked for it but, but on the jobs where you need to provide kit on a tight budget its a great choice. Previously I'd be doing those jobs on a bog standard DLSR so its nice to level up and shoot on a more robust codec. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, Harshad V. Gaikwad said:

Being fairly new to the industry

As you're new to the industry, don't buy either!!

Get yourself a secondhand Sony FS7mk1 for a song, as little as US$3K ish. (or an FS5mk1 for even less!) That will serve you much better as a business investment while you find your feet as a newbie pro. 

Or heck, get a BMPCC4K even!

Edited by David Peterson