I want to develop a new lighting technology for my PhD. Any suggestions?

Evita Nari

Hello guys! I am an Electrical/Computer Engineer with a master in Lighting Design and I am looking for a subject for my PhD.

My idea is to develop a new lighting technology for the set. Probably something that will be part of the filming process, real time.

But actually, any idea is welcome.

Is there something you wish you had the technology to do? No matter how crazy it sounds, please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, if we're really dreaming big, how about a light that is: bi-color, high output and a true hard source (ie. not a COB LED)

So, think something that is nearly a point source, like an HMI filament but dimmable between 2700k and 6500k.  If it's tint-adjustable too, even better!  BUT still efficient enough to be on par with current LED tech.

• Premium Member

What's more useful than a lighting technology is a way of standardising the response of cameras to lights.

This is somewhat akin to what Kino-Flo has done with the Celeb series. It's very, very very subtle, but it'd be good to see someone do that work and release the data.

That would be actually useful.

P

• Like 1

A small wifi dimmer pack for remote controlling tungsten with and app would be good. But thats more an undergrad electronics project

Or a light that could track an object and real time and adjust its output in real time to maintain the same exposure - negating the inverse square law. That would be a bit more fun

28 minutes ago, Phil Connolly said:

A small wifi dimmer pack for remote controlling tungsten with and app would be good. But thats more an undergrad electronics project

i use this combi below since years:

1. Get Lumenair or any other iphone/Android DMX app.

2. Get a wifi DMX Dongle, HMB Tech works pretty well with iphones and Lumenair…

https://hmbtec.de/produkt/cc512-v4-〈-isky-〉wifi-→-dmx-dongle

3. get any DMX Dimmer where you can plug in the Dongle. (German webshop example)

https://www.thomann.de/de/eurolite_edx_4r_dmx_rdm_dimmerpack.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoJb4u6SU5gIVleR3Ch2ZgA94EAQYAiABEgI3q_D_BwE

is around 300$ all in. I use it a lot for Practicals as well as all DMX controllable Stuff like LEDs / Skypanels / Litetile… and so on… ? 

to be honest, I can not imagine a light that the industry isn´t currently developing… the film/foto/stage light marked is exploding these days.

but a modern carbon-arc would be great…

Edited by Philip Reinhold
gramma

• Premium Member

I’d love to see a thin but wide-aperture source, with a tight beam.

Something the size of a Kino tube, in 2’, 4’ and 8’ lengths, but with a tight beam (something like a 20 degree beam angle, or even tighter).

Combining the wrap of a tube light, with the control of a spotty source would be quite unique. And so much more controllable than a Kino/Quasar tube.

• Like 1