Long Time Reader, First Time Question

Bob Hobbs

Hello,

I'm prepping for my first DP shoot in a while, And I'm looking to bounce my plan off of everybody. Shooting a scene in a studio.. Trying to emulate this scene from Fight Club. NO budget so I'm using what I''ve got. 

I have a (2) Aputure 120d w/ Chimera Pancakes w/ skirts.

(5 ) 4' quasar tubes.

Also a set 4'4bank Kinos.

A lot of Duv and a 12x12 full grid

I'm looking to light the centre of the studio space top-down, and backlight the walls to hopefully have some shadow separation in-between. Also, the scene has actors moving all around under the top light, in an out of shadows. Hopefully looking to achieve the capability to light the space, leave it.. and have the availability of having a two-shot profile either front or back light depending on character position/camera position.

Here are the shots..

My Idea is both 120d's mounted with chimeras and grid top down. And quasars out of frame providing spill on the walls. 

Is there any better way I can achieve this without the need to top mount the lights overhead, maybe 12x12 mounted and both 120's bounced into them and a Duv wrap around it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated .

gjHhH_kCpJvGjfUUSCnnS9owHlVSEI4JGhLni9gREVQboKdWQKXtYBH9hpK_Y3JJcX5RWk6CuZKHmjKRc0lnYpd2uvL0iqCBFdXcjq4AKKNsMHjKAMOqNCs1K1poupljnLXile418go9pvsyLuohWfqmaAkiPfWCJyHP3Ny_uO0YNz3glF-fXPyF5yjGPBdoUkKQfthauVCL5Epz6nE1TDjf_ag5U6AaDW8P1dkTuQPtRb0fGjHA-8EODSilObDjvMX0P7F5W7cb3-hAgR5iV4TgpVdvDvkRDI7cWtxsHyWvDajo5q9eD0kf6fl7lGbjOIKBk2zOUR47lqch4DFxPcLy9dujziz8ZFBIQmZmI3WzdlCR5zVWDARdutVnchjN05eTUAxgvP_B3Van_awgqb9blJv-4i7w0

• Premium Member

Hi Bob, 

I think your bounce into the overhead 12x12 makes the most sense, given the size of the location, though then ideally the rag would be an Ultrabounce or something similar. But I guess it really depends how much of the space you will be seeing on camera. Also, are you going to block out the windows or shoot at night? Or will you also be dealing with the window light? 

Since you already have the 12x frame, what if you mount the Quasars to that in the center, then droop the rag slightly underneath it? You might get more spread than with the Apertures.

Hey Satsuki,

shooting BMMCC at 800ASA 180s and hopefully 28.-4 split.

Thanks, I only have the 12x12 grid cloth with sash, no frame. Was just going to tie it off on the top. If I was going to bounce, I would only have 8x8 foam core to use with it behind, if I was going to do a top down bounce. I just think i'd more spill if i went that route.

and yes, I will be blacking out the windows.

If I wanted to do 120d's shooting up into the foamcore, back through the 12x12, I would try and build a make-shift Duvetyne skirt to control spill on the outer walls. But I won't have anyway of griding the actual 12x12 (no frame) to control the shadows on talent.

That's why I was leaning more towards 120's with softbox/grid combo... 

Now my last idea is to top mount both 120's with softboxes and grid, and then shoot them through the grid, Idea being to try and keep it looking like 1 source.

Any thought?

Much appriecated Satsuki!

• Premium Member

Hm, well how much of the room are you trying to light? Do you think you need the 12x12 overhead source for the scene, or would the 8x8 overhead bounce be big enough? There would be less spill on the walls with the 8x8. 

If you go with the overhead 120Ds thru the 12x12 grid, I think the look may be a bit harsher than the bounce or the Quasar tubes and you’ll only have two spotted areas to play with, but maybe that’s ok depending on the blocking and the look you are going for. I’m not very familiar with the Aputure lights, so maybe you can spread them over short distance more than I’m imagining.

Personally, I would see if you can use the crossbeams as rigging points for the Quasars, then clip up the grid cloth below it with spring clamps. Since you have so many possible mounting points in the ceiling, it looks like it would be pretty easy to add skirts if needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided on a 4x6 white bounce, Quasars mounted to the frame with a 1-stop diffusion underneath. The quasar open end parallel to the floor, hoping to get a mix of direct light through the diff and also bouncing around.

0?ui=2&ik=388bed8c4a&attid=0.5&permmsgid=msg-a:r1152194066286581577&th=16ea949653bcd2f5&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-mIt78KbU8IQx89lKWSGLl8HTpvIwL5s5PQnNNzO-vLiCO2uqxp8hqy64JKo6uaDjk5stSUgW79PEbOUyMcL-iWQjmXXpalDUVNOHmyhbsUxVysDV3XQo92Rc&disp=emb&realattid=16ea9493bb746d1b7294

Honestly, For rigging purposes,

I could have went with a Large chimera Pancake and rigged the lights directly inside bouncing up and would have been just as happy with the quality of light, and half the time rigging. But I didn't have to throw money at this problem so it's a success.

Stills to come!