Help getting set up with portable dimming

Guy Holt

I’m a total Newbie when it comers to wireless DMX and want to put together a portable dimming system in a pelican case.  I was thinking of getting Nomad for my 2013 Macbook Pro with Retina display. So that I can easily jump from there to a desk size EOS console I was thinking of also getting a  Dell 16x9 Touchscreen to mount under the lid of the case  and the cmd keyboard for ETC Eos.  To output dmx to fixtures  I was also planning on getting the ETC Gadget that provides two universes. What would be a good transmitter? Is there anything else I am missing?  What more do I need in my Pelican case for a complete mobile package. Attached are some pictures I found online of such a system and I am trying to figure out what all the ports on the side of the pelican case are for?

Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip, Lighting Rentals & Sales in Boston

3A3A0201-D143-4254-8124-290973AAE347.jpeg.100908d8828d3f99617cec92e512310c.jpeg

B75BAB3E-84E0-4CC9-BECB-C1D8EEA3EFBD.jpeg.4acf54024e2e92827b80bd9cf0dc3b65.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have extensive experience with DMX, but I have created a couple pelican-case build outs, and it seems like the majority of those exterior ports are pass-throughs for computer and peripheral I/O.  Power obviously, and looks like two XLR ports for DMX, USB ports for the wireless TX.  The threaded cap in the first photo is a mystery to me, maybe an open hole for the unexpected cable?

Good luck with the project!

Edited by Gabriel Elder