Sony F3: Different versions?

Rickard Aall

20 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Surprised he couldn't match an f5 and an fs7..same sensor .. processing different , but I imagine they used the same color filters ..  ND maybe a little different .. but there must be many tens of thousands of productions that have mixed f5 and fs7 in REC709 and Slog.. Ive worked on many shoots with my f5,that had other segments shot with fx7.. hundreds I would think over 7 years I had the f5..almost all requests were for fs7 but they were fine with f5.. maybe he needs to have a few sessions with a colorist  to get some pointers .. 

It wasn't that he couldn't match it, but it that it took him time to do so. And of course "any" amount of time is unacceptable when you've got a tight budget and trying to get it to come in on time. 

20 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Just wish I had work for my new fx9 beast !!  

I wish I had work for my new Sound Devices 833 beast! 

My last job was working on Main Unit for the government's COVID-19 television campaign, just a few days before lockdown. And everything for the future has been delayed or outright cancelled. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Prices of F3 bodies are going to be shooting through the roof on eBay now...  :-/ 

On 4/27/2020 at 4:24 AM, Feli di Giorgio said:

Old thread, but just for the record I purchased an F3L back when they came out.

The way I remember it is that the F3L included the sLOG 444 upgrade.

With the stock F3 the 444 sLOG upgrade was optional and cost extra.

Didn't they include the upgrade essential "for free" (they held the price of the body the same) with the F3L? As the original C300 put a lot of pressure on Sony to be price competitive. 

Edited by David Peterson

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, Rickard Aall said:

I see! Thank you. I was a little quick on the trigger. One of the listings I was looking at appears to be for two cameras.

I’m thinking to use the Odyssey 7q as recorder, but it could be interesting if I’ll be going to the states sometime.

I just purchased a used Odyssey Q7+. Can anybody advise from experience what firmware I should install to best work with my Sony PMW-F3?

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 12:24 PM, Feli di Giorgio said:

Old thread, but just for the record I purchased an F3L back when they came out.

The way I remember it is that the F3L included the sLOG 444 upgrade.

With the stock F3 the 444 sLOG upgrade was optional and cost extra.

I had a similar experience, purchasing mine used years ago it was listed as a "F3L" and came with the S-Log upgrade so I assumed "L" stood for "Log." Also, this is an excerpt from the official B&H listing for "Sony PMW-F3L" which confirms it: 

"More demanding applications can utilize the camera's dual-link HD-SDI ports to output to an external recorder in 10-bit 4:2:2 or 10-bit RGB 4:4:4...The combination of four HyperGamma settings with S-Log and LUT capability provide RAW-like flexibility to the image data, allowing for increased picture control and dynamic range."

The "PMW-F3K" was the one that came with 3 lenses as "K" likely stands for "Kit"

Note, it only outputs S-Log 444 over SDI according my use and to every source I've read, I don't see how someone is claiming they can mod it to record that internally, it doesn't even do 422 internally, and if it was possible it should be all over the internet by now like Magic Lantern.  

On 7/10/2020 at 2:05 AM, David Peterson said:

Prices of F3 bodies are going to be shooting through the roof on eBay now...  ?

Didn't they include the upgrade essential "for free" (they held the price of the body the same) with the F3L? As the original C300 put a lot of pressure on Sony to be price competitive. 

I would say not, even though it's a nice image, it still only records 1080p MPEG-2 and 60fps at 720p even with the upgrade. It's not suddenly going to equal something that can shoot 4k 422 or Raw at more framerates. 

I could be wrong, but I also remember this being the case, that you could buy a new F3L for the same price or send in your F3 to get the upgrade for free. 

• 2 years later...
On 12/2/2019 at 10:29 AM, Max Field said:

I think F3L was a marketing model, same camera but just came with the Sony cine prime lenses.

I know a guy in New York who can modify F3s to record 4:4:4 internal to SxS Pro+ cards if you were trying to find a better version of the camera.

Max Field

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS STATEMENT to make without any proof. Please back it up. 

This post is going to resurface over and over for years to come. 

Perhaps you were misinformed and now are too embarrassed to admit mistaken information? 

For everyone else reading these posts and coming here to ask the same question I put in a little time trying to find more I would add this: 

a)I could not find any evidence of internal 444 on F3 sxs upgrade anywhere else on the internet.

b) take a look at some of Max Field's other posts and I think you get an idea he might be shooting from the hip a little loose. See his F35 post.

I find the virus of mis-information to be incredibly annoying. Maybe I am wrong and there is a magical F3 sxs upgrade however saying there is and then disappearing is incredibly irresponsible and the same as flat out lying about it.

5 minutes ago, Evan Ferrario said:

Max Field

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS STATEMENT to make without any proof. Please back it up. 

This post is going to resurface over and over for years to come. 

Perhaps you were misinformed and now are too embarrassed to admit mistaken information? 

For everyone else reading these posts and coming here to ask the same question I put in a little time trying to find more I would add this: 

a)I could not find any evidence of internal 444 on F3 sxs upgrade anywhere else on the internet.

b) take a look at some of Max Field's other posts and I think you get an idea he might be shooting from the hip a little loose. See his F35 post.

I find the virus of mis-information to be incredibly annoying. Maybe I am wrong and there is a magical F3 sxs upgrade however saying there is and then disappearing is incredibly irresponsible and the same as flat out lying about it.

This was 5 years ago that I was physically in his workshop and witnessed the camera doing said recordings. He didn't have a service listed since it was a personal project that he put together. There are tons of unofficial mods people do to cameras all the time that aren't listed services. Calm down.

51 minutes ago, Evan Ferrario said:

It's all BS until you provide proof.

Okay next time I meet another random techie in my day-to-day life I'll be sure to record the date, time, place, photograph his computer screen, transfer several gigs worth of test files, get his ID, and swab for DNA forensics on the offhand chance a camera operator disgruntled over how his career panned out spazzes over something I witnessed 5 years ago.