Light Meter Problems with Canon 518! Do I need a new camera?

Aaron Razi

Hi folks! Long time, no see! 

So I've had my Canon Auto-Zoom 518 for about a year and a half now. It's an awesome camera, but for as long as I've had it, the light-meter has been consistently finicky. It requires batteries that no longer exist (PX625), so I have to resort to obscure substitutes (Wein Cells 1.35V Mercury Replacement Battery) that often stop working, such and such. For the past few months, I was using somewhat of a hack with a random alkaline battery and the Wein Cell, which was working until I left my camera in the cold for a bit too long. Even now, when I bought the correct Wein Cells, the light meter refuses to work. There is no indication of the light meter being powered or anything. I've tried turning it off and on, and everything that has worked in the past. 

I'm wondering now a few things: Should I be using different batteries? Has the cold done irreparable damage to the light meter? Do I need a new camera? I really love the camera. It has a crisp image and isn't too bulky. (Here is a project I shot on it) I'm not too quick to drop it for another model.

However, if I had to, which cameras have more reliable light meters and aren't too expensive? (I have a budget of $100-$125) Is there anything that comes to mind?

Thanks so much as always, 

Aaron Razi Baseman

There seems to be no exposure control on this camera not linked to the built in light meter.  Maybe it's time to find a camera with true manual controls such as an iris ring on the lens.  Old cameras with built in, exposure linked, light meters that use discontinued batteries are not a good combination in general.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bruce Greene said:

There seems to be no exposure control on this camera not linked to the built in light meter.  Maybe it's time to find a camera with true manual controls such as an iris ring on the lens.  Old cameras with built in, exposure linked, light meters that use discontinued batteries are not a good combination in general.

Thanks Bruce! Do you have any suggestions as to which models specifically? 

May I suggest the Elmo Super 110. Made in the early 70's. It has both automatic and manual controls. I have this camera and have been very pleased with it's performance, and sharp lens. It's one of the quietest cameras you will ever run. It will recognize all the modern reversal and negative stocks on the market today. Here's a link for the camera's spec. I'm also including a photo of the camera. 

Please note: The camera only uses 4 X AA batteries. There is no separate battery for the light meter, even though the link says so below. 

https://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/database/cameras_list/cameras_honeywell_elmo/honeywell_elmo_super_110.htm

ELMO-SUPER-110-SUPER-8-CAMERA-Tested-and.jpg

Edited by Shane C Collins

I would recommend the Canon AZE 814. I've shot a couple of rolls with it and been very pleased with the results. I use my Sekonic Light Meter to take readings.

Here is an example of something I shot on the camera with Vision3 500T stock (thats why its so grainy). The film is nothing too serious, just a day at the beach earlier in the year with some mates.