Anamorphic Prime set, 135 or 180?

Dominik Bauch

Looking into renting a set of anamorphic primes for a job. 32, 40, 50, 75, 100 are included but I've been given a choice of 135mm or 180mm to round off the set.

I love the hyper stylized extreme separation that long anamorphic lenses produce; that very distorted out of focus BG bokeh feels super cinematic to me. I'm leaning towards the 180mm as I feel the 135 will be not all that different from 100mm but the 180mm has a chance to look very interesting and different. I've never used either lens before so, min. focus issues aside, in real world shooting (scripted interior / exterior) does anyone have any thoughts as to which would be the most useful / interesting? 

I shot an anamorphic picture last year with the Cooke anamorphic lenses.  Our longest lens was, I believe, 135mm and that was fine. I'm not even sure we used it all that much.

What we needed and did use though were the 65mm close focus lens, and the 25mm wide angle lens.  I was surprised that we used the 25mm for more than two set-ups and it was really needed.

• Premium Member

3 hours ago, Bruce Greene said:

I shot an anamorphic picture last year with the Cooke anamorphic lenses.  Our longest lens was, I believe, 135mm and that was fine. I'm not even sure we used it all that much.

What we needed and did use though were the 65mm close focus lens, and the 25mm wide angle lens.  I was surprised that we used the 25mm for more than two set-ups and it was really needed.

65mm in anamorphic is a really nice lens.