Canon 1014xl-s film counter stuck at "END"

David Scott

I bought a 1014xls in awesome condition last summer. I've put about 5 carts through it with no issues. Now my counter is stuck at the end and won't return to zero so the camera won't run. Is this something I can fix easily? Or is it a major repair?

I shot a wedding about a year ago on a Canon 1014 xls. It was in excellent condition but hadn't been seriously used for decades. I was about 15 seconds into the first shot of the bride approaching when suddenly 'END' started to flash in the viewfinder (in a sort of 70s-esque pin ball-arcade, reflected-light analog/non-digital, charming style which I can't describe any other way). But serious stuff as the bride is now at the altar!!! And I'm it. There's no-one else filming this event.

I grabbed out the cartridge, banged it on the side of my leg (not knowing what the problem was), and threw it back into the film bay, praying. For the rest of the wedding (two cartridges) it worked absolutely perfectly. I'd say the feeler in the compartment has seized up but as long as nothing is corroded I'd say there's hope. Perhaps try simply loading and unloading a cartridge and that might loosen up the component that engages with the cartridge to read it.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

I've tried banging the cartridge around, pushing all moveable pins/buttons inside the film compartment, etc. and nothing. I also noticed the plastic window in the counter slot has fallen inside, but it does not seem to be causing this problem as it is not stuck against anything, it's just loose in there. anyone have a diagram of the film counter mechanism?