Dancing Scene Lighting

Hi! I'm studying cinematography in Spain and I'm gonna be DoP in a school short film. I have to design a lighting for a dance sequence with a couple dancing slowly together. It's gonna be shot in studio, we have multiple tungsten about 1KW, 2KW, also Velvet light panels, fresnel HMI 1KW, 2KW. One requirement is that it must be a theatrical light. I have thought about hanging lights on the characters, adding smoke, and coloring the backgrounds with jellies. There is also the possibility of getting light through a false window. I wold like to incorporate neon lights, led strips, or something like that in the background.

Do you have any purpose to design the lighting for that?

Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member

Depends on the setting if if the dance lighting there would be theatrical, with color changes, and if so, then it's just a creative decision of what you want to accomplish.  Keep in mind that if you use tungsten fixtures, you'd have to cross fade lights with gels on them to create color changes.

12 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Depends on the setting if if the dance lighting there would be theatrical, with color changes, and if so, then it's just a creative decision of what you want to accomplish.  Keep in mind that if you use tungsten fixtures, you'd have to cross fade lights with gels on them to create color changes.

The only color change I'd like to create is in the background. 

like you I'm still a student, and lighting still a mystery for me. But perhaps what you need is that to discuss a reference with your director so you may confidently build your lighting based on a common ground. 

"The Nutcracker and the Four Realms" (2018) is a terrible movie by all means, but it has a dancing sequence that might aspire you. also you may check the work of Matthew Libatique in the "Black Swan" (2010)

you are in film school so I recommend you to also ask your friends classmates for a reference, hopefully they will help you and ou will ave something to build upon

Good luck!