Some Questions About My New Eclair NPR

Thomas Blanks

• Premium Member

Hey everyone, I recently purchased an Eclair NPR off of eBay and I've got some questions about it.

1. I'm trying to find a battery solution for it. I've read through other posts and I see that there are a lot of different routes I could go. So far I've been looking at this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048193-REG/bescor_fp_12vatm_12v_lithium_ion_battery.html as well as this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/126161-REG/Cool_Lux_BC3054_BC_3054_Battery_Belt_LCE.html. I would love to hear everyones thoughts on these!
  2. My second question is about a piece of gear that came with the camera. It was in a pouch labeled "Video Tap" and when I opened it up the only thing in there was this weird viewfinder. I attached some pictures of it. There's no markings or writing on it that tell me what it is or what company it is. If anyone knows please let me know!

g5B4nZil.jpg

TH90V5ll.jpg

wjDa4fOl.jpg

ju1b8fJl.jpg

That’s exactly what this looks like.

one side screws on to the camera, and the other side is for mounting a video camera to shoot the viewfinder.  You might also need a lens for the video camera, but I can’t be sure from the photos.

ive never seen this particular video tap adapter though. Video taps were not common on the NPR in its day.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

The logo on the cap looks like the old Cinema Products logo;  the maker of the CP 16 and the Steadycam. 

More than likely it was designed for a one-tube video camera or a very early single chip digital camera.  It should have relay optics inside the unit, but what the back focus would be is anyone's guess.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
On 2/2/2020 at 3:37 AM, Bruce Greene said:

That’s exactly what this looks like.

one side screws on to the camera, and the other side is for mounting a video camera to shoot the viewfinder.  You might also need a lens for the video camera, but I can’t be sure from the photos.

ive never seen this particular video tap adapter though. Video taps were not common on the NPR in its day.

Yeah, it looks completely different than any of the other video-taps I've been able to find online for any camera really. I wonder if I can find a small camera that could fit into the opening at the top, or if it's even worth it to try? Seems like it could be something cool maybe.

• 3 months later...