Spooling developed film into the reel (stupid question)

Marco Leoncino

Dear all,

I feel really ashamed with the question I am going to make. I have finished the filming phase of my new project and I am going to start to develop the film material I have used.

In particular I will develop something like 270-280 meters of 16mm film (Kodak 7222)! 

I don´t have other references and therefore I don´t know how to load the film in the reel. I want to do it properly, in order to avoid that the film will be uncorrectly loaded in the reel.

Can you please help me? Do you have some drawing which can help me?

Thanks a lot!

• Premium Member

if you will want to load the film to a spiral tank for diy processing, then I would recommend watching some tutorials first and practicing with a dummy film to make sure you are able to load it properly. when loading Lomo spirals there is some tricks to make it a bit easier (or to make it possible in the first place).  If you can't find a good tutorial we can make one for you :)

If you wanted to ask about preparing the rolls for sending to a lab, then it is pretty easy to advice the process if you tell a bit more of what you want to do with the rolls and how they are shot, how they are intended to be developed and how you want them to be transferred

Hello! I know how to load the developing reel. But I am not sure how should I put the film on the reel which is normally used in projection (not in this case, since the film is a negative) or in the telecine. I don´t want to load the processed film in the reel in the wrong way...

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Marco Leoncino said:

Hello! I know how to load the developing reel. But I am not sure how should I put the film on the reel which is normally used in projection (not in this case, since the film is a negative) or in the telecine. I don´t want to load the processed film in the reel in the wrong way...

With 16mm it is a little bit easier because you have perforations only on one side. The easiest it to check that the perfs are on the same side than on the projector sprocket teeth and the roll is starting with the correct shot so its not reversed accidentally. The emulsion position depends on the film you project (print or camera original). Winding direction does not matter that much on 16 unless you have a projector with rewind function you want to use. The film can be a little bit more stable if running from the feed reel counterclockwise depending on the projector.

From Kodak page: "There is no preferred emulsion orientation for 16 mm and 8 mm films since they are used in both emulsion positions. Original reversal films, such as those used in cameras, are wound emulsion out. Prints from negatives and reversal dupes are normally wound emulsion in. "