Vintage Nikon, non AI vs AI

I collect vintage nikon glass including AI and the Auto-Nikkor series that includes the 28mm you asked about.

In general the Auto-Nikkors (which have letters in their names like 28mm-N, 50mm-S, 135mm-Q, etc..) have a more classic look with lower contrast, smoother color and tone transitions and softer highlights, where the AI series has more contrast (but not as much as a modern lens) and punchier primary colors, but more abrupt color and tone transitions.

The Autos that have a "C" next to their letter are multicoated (like the "S.C.") where a letter with no C (just "S") are single coated. With 2 exceptions: both the "35mm f1.4 N" and "28mm f2 N"are all multicoated no matter what the name variation says.

The "28mm f2 N" has the same optical formula for the N, NC, K and AI. So with that particular lens its really just what kind of barrel design you like best/ can get. They should all render the same.

The Auto and AI lenses all have similar focus throws around 180 degrees, give or take. AIS lenses are much shorter.

10 hours ago, Andrew Schroeder said:

The "28mm f2 N" has the same optical formula for the N, NC, K and AI. So with that particular lens its really just what kind of barrel design you like best/ can get. They should all render the same.

Thanks Andrew, I’ve bought a late model N.C 28/2. It’s actually to round out the wide end of non Nikon vintage set, so we’ll see how that goes.

I have another question, about the AI-S. They were manufactured for quite a long period of time. Are the early and late models optically identical, or were there tweaks along the way?

3 hours ago, Stuart Brereton said:

Thanks Andrew, I’ve bought a late model N.C 28/2. It’s actually to round out the wide end of non Nikon vintage set, so we’ll see how that goes.

I have another question, about the AI-S. They were manufactured for quite a long period of time. Are the early and late models optically identical, or were there tweaks along the way?

It depends on the model, the only overall change I can think of are the coatings.