thesis about cinematography and television

amirali mohammadi

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Adrian Sierkowski said:

We could; but you should honestly be speaking to your professor about guidance as they know you as a student better than we do. And honestly, coming up with the subject matter is really part of your homework as a whole.

Agreed!

G

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Not sure if there's much connection between dynamic lighting, which tends to be more of a live theatrical stage effect, and television, though there is some intersection. You could also say that when Storaro moves a big light in the shot, like the Venetian blinds scene in "The Conformist" perhaps that's an example of dynamic lighting. But it's not a very well-defined term and it's not used much in filmmaking, so I'd be hesitant to wrap a whole thesis around it.

First of all, if the thesis has to involve cinematography for television as opposed to feature filmmaking, you have to decide that that means, though in practical reality, there isn't much difference other than you might shoot 10 to 20 hours of story for a series as opposed to a 2-hour movie.

• Like 1

It's usually a good idea to pick a topic that's connected to a film you like. Then you're researching something thats relevant to you.

Once you have a film, it could have specific genre or stylistic conventions that you could learn about explore, compare with other films and allow the topic to grow organically.  

My MA thesis was in the area of British political TV drama. I chose the topic because at the time I was watching Paul Abbots "State of Play" which I loved and my research happened organically because once I'd watched that, I started hunting down similar programmes to watch. I 

No one can tell you what topic to do and your professors shouldn't either. 

You also need to pick a topic that gives you enough to write about - sometimes my students want to look at very recent/obscure film and its difficult to find books/journal articles discussing it. So you need to pick a topic that's possible to research.

If you go down the technology route, it has to link to specific films and you need to be able to demonstrate how technique X moved the artform forward with case studies. 

• Like 1

hmmmm. 

If I were you I would start comparing between the TV series nowadays and the TV series that were released (I don't know) in the nineties and then talk about how digital cameras and the aspect ratio of 16:9 has made TV today compete with cinema. 

Edited by Abdul Rahman Jamous
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Phil Connolly said:

It's usually a good idea to pick a topic that's connected to a film you like. Then you're researching something thats relevant to you.

Once you have a film, it could have specific genre or stylistic conventions that you could learn about explore, compare with other films and allow the topic to grow organically.  

My MA thesis was in the area of British political TV drama. I chose the topic because at the time I was watching Paul Abbots "State of Play" which I loved and my research happened organically because once I'd watched that, I started hunting down similar programmes to watch. I 

No one can tell you what topic to do and your professors shouldn't either. 

You also need to pick a topic that gives you enough to write about - sometimes my students want to look at very recent/obscure film and its difficult to find books/journal articles discussing it. So you need to pick a topic that's possible to research.

If you go down the technology route, it has to link to specific films and you need to be able to demonstrate how technique X moved the artform forward with case studies. 

Thank you for your help, master . Your guidance was really helpful ??

Edited by amirali mohammadi

On 2/13/2020 at 12:56 AM, David Mullen ASC said:

Not sure if there's much connection between dynamic lighting, which tends to be more of a live theatrical stage effect, and television, though there is some intersection. You could also say that when Storaro moves a big light in the shot, like the Venetian blinds scene in "The Conformist" perhaps that's an example of dynamic lighting. But it's not a very well-defined term and it's not used much in filmmaking, so I'd be hesitant to wrap a whole thesis around it.

First of all, if the thesis has to involve cinematography for television as opposed to feature filmmaking, you have to decide that that means, though in practical reality, there isn't much difference other than you might shoot 10 to 20 hours of story for a series as opposed to a 2-hour movie.

Thank you, dear Master, for your response. It was really useful ??