16mm film options on sale /Kodak raising prices? best place to buy in EU?

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

So apart from the Vision3 films, Ektachrome, Double X and the Tri X what are the complete list of films available to buy today.....

I came across Fujifilm F-64D on sale in Spain - never heard of it whats it like????
https://www.foto-r3.com/es/fujifilm-16mm-super-64d-8622-1r-305.html

and Fomapan R100 on sale in Spain - whats it like?
https://www.foto-r3.com/es/fomapan-r100-16mm-1r-305m.html

...and where's the best place to buy film in the EU? I been told Kodak raising prices on motion picture film too is that the case?

Edited by Stephen Perera

Properly stored F64D is fine and holds up well against newer stocks. It has noticeably less latitude than Kodak '03 as it's slightly more contrasty and doesn't go up to very high (say, 1,5-2-2,4 RGB, which is hard for telecine and non-HDR scans anyway) densities like '03. It's grainier too. But one can argue the warm hues are more lifelike compared to Kodak ochre/carmine/cadmium palette.

If you come across F64D, do a sensitometery test. If it's still got some 20...30 ASA and tolerable fog, color should be OK.

• Premium Member

thanks for the comments as usual...much appreciated.....

I spoke to a couple of Kodak resellers and they confirmed there was going to be an increase in the prices of motion picture film.....'slight' increase I was told......Im going to buy stock now thats for sure!

• Premium Member

I've shot quite a bit of Fuji 64D and It's a great stock, it's more of a blue green stock, rather than a more warm orange stock like Kodak. I really like it because even if severely fogged, it will still perform well. Unfortunately, any 64D you get today will be well over 10 years old, so the likelihood it's pretty fogged is high. 

I don't feel the dynamic range or contrast ratio is any different. 

Here is a little sample, mind the focus, it was a friend running the camera. Remember, this is 64 ISO rated stock and we shot it in, non-direct light settings, we were way under exposed for stock made in 1998. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/782va0fn2bwdc7a/Fuji 64D test footage-1080P youtube.mov?dl=0

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

if its of any interest to anyone Frame24 in UK offers great prices deals process paid....nice people too, they email you back informatively and fast........as do ANDEC Filmtechnik in Berlin, again they seem dedicated and great.....in Spain I buy from Alejandro Paino - a Kodak reseller.....he's become a personal contact and I simple WhatsApp him to order.