'A Million Eyes' - short film shot by Jarin Blaschke

• Premium Member

Is there any way we can watch this piece shot by Jarin Blaschke?? Interested to see it......the story is very appealing, a kid who shoots with an old Minolta 35mm camera and a battered lens....
A gifted young photographer, grappling with his mother's alcoholism, sets out to capture something he loves with the help of a mentor.

Would be great if Jarin could come in on this thread and give us a few notes abut shooting it.....like shot on what and all the rest of it....I like the bit in the trailer where the kid says...."magic" and his eyes light up in the darkroom as he sees his image appear in the tray....we all said, thought the same!....I certainly did back in 1985 when i first walked into a darkroom with T-Max 100 to process

Edited by Stephen Perera

• 1 month later...

Hi:

After a bizarre career experience, I was suddenly available to shoot Richard's small film, which felt like a cleanse. He is always pleasure to work with, and is just a good human being. In life, I simply like to be around good people.

I was a consultant for the darkroom scenes and enjoyed teaching people about this process that recently has become exotic.

One fun thing to try was the 1.5:1 aspect ratio - that of a 35mm still camera. In the end, I prefer composing in 1.33 or 1.66 though.

Because the analog photographic experience is a central part to the movie, I endlessly prodded to shoot it on film. Endlessly. Sadly, in the end, some production mysteries prevented this from happening.

I tried to keep it simple: just show things directly but with intention. The camera moves often, but hopefully feels subtle and streamlined and direct rather than fancy. It's not the bloody headaches I go out of my way to create on an Eggers film. I also have a secret, fuzzy-wuzzy, nostalgic and feel-good side that is nice to indulge on occasion. 

-Jarin