Supports for boom poles?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2020 at 3:30 AM, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

When the sound man holds the boom pole do they use any supports if they can get by with holding boom chest level or is it usually overhead?

No. You just simply use your arms!

(welllll... there is one rare niche exceptions, there is a product which is kinda like the Tilta Armour Man but for holding a boom pole rather than a camera. But practically speaking, this has 99% of the time more negatives than positives. Maybe if the Sound Department got treated like the Camera Department gets treated, then we might see greater usage of it)

On 2/25/2020 at 6:41 AM, Adam Froehlich said:

I use these + C-Stand for interviews and smaller one-man-band type things when I don't have a sound guy: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Microphone-Boompole-Support-Holder/dp/B00YEEDJF6/

This is definitely great! Interviews is a common example of where I use this, but even fairly simple intervews might mean I need to abandon this approach, for example if it is someone who shirts around and rocks back and forth a lot in their chair then you really should be holding your boom in your hands to follow them as they move. 

On 2/25/2020 at 3:30 AM, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

If overhead the must get tired on long takes with arms overhead.

Yes! 

But we have a few tricks up our sleeves that helps:

1) technique (yes, your boom technique matters! The angle your arms are at, how you grip your pole, they way you stand on your feet, many little minor differences make up your technique and do matter!)
2) training, keep yourself fit!
3) good equipment (a high quality pole will be better than a cheap & heavy Rode Alu boom pole!)
4) just simply grimace and bare it, hoping that the 1st AD will be calling out "cut" soon!

I once did an interview out in the wilderness that'd we flown then hiked to (no C Stand with us!) which was an entire HOUR of me with my boom pole at full extension with a blimp & dead cat at the end! No breaks. Just did it nonstop, as that was how they rolled. Not going to lie, that was tough! But I did it.