Scrims and LIghts 270 & 275

Hey All!

I'm looking to get some scrims to cut down tungsten lights (300w, 650w, 800w, 2k,)

Sadly not all my lights are Official lights with hard metal mesh scrims to buy for and fit, So I'm curious if Rosco's 270 & 275 would handle and survive the heat of atleast a 800w open face inbetween the barn doors? or maybe even a 2k but I doubt they are even clsoe to stronger enough

If not what are good alternatives for scrimming lights half a stop and a whole stop if I can't fit metal mesh scrims?

Thanks!

-Samuel

1 hour ago, Sam Bignell said:

Hey All!

I'm looking to get some scrims to cut down tungsten lights (300w, 650w, 800w, 2k,)

Sadly not all my lights are Official lights with hard metal mesh scrims to buy for and fit, So I'm curious if Rosco's 270 & 275 would handle and survive the heat of atleast a 800w open face inbetween the barn doors? or maybe even a 2k but I doubt they are even clsoe to stronger enough

If not what are good alternatives for scrimming lights half a stop and a whole stop if I can't fit metal mesh scrims?

Thanks!

-Samuel

You could go the Home Depot and buy metal screen material and cut your own. Bring a light meter to the store and measure the light loss when choosing.

I’ve done this on distant location once when no scrims arrived with the lights. ?

• Upvote 1

Hi Sam,

The 270 & 275 scrims are more made for cutting intensity in windows--they are not terribly heat resistant.

Metal screening is not easy to find in the UK, compared to the states, so don't try B&Q.

Go for a heat resistant ND gel instead---298 (half stop), 209 (1-stop), 210 (2-stop), 211 (3-stop) or 299 (4-stop).

hope that help.

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2020 at 12:20 AM, Bruce Greene said:

You could go the Home Depot and buy metal screen material and cut your own. Bring a light meter to the store and measure the light loss when choosing.

I’ve done this on distant location once when no scrims arrived with the lights. ?

I thought of this but thopught it wouln't be accuraye enough but i'lll defo give that a go tonight!

On 3/4/2020 at 9:27 AM, Tom McGrath said:

Hi Sam,

The 270 & 275 scrims are more made for cutting intensity in windows--they are not terribly heat resistant.

Metal screening is not easy to find in the UK, compared to the states, so don't try B&Q.

Go for a heat resistant ND gel instead---298 (half stop), 209 (1-stop), 210 (2-stop), 211 (3-stop) or 299 (4-stop).

hope that help.

Tell me about it, It's like everything film is Ilegal here haha! I'll check anyway otherwise ND it is!

On 3/5/2020 at 12:14 AM, JD Hartman said:

Does these lights have accessory ears? Determine the inside measurement and hunt FleaBay for scrims that fit.

I'll have a look around hoping to find something if not ill use ND!

Thanks Everyone!