Classic 90s Film Look

1 hour ago, panagiotis agapitou said:

Is this one ok ? https://youtu.be/aT81llm_0Fw

John Kuhn(mentioned in the YouTube description), is the same telecine operator that transferred lots of 35mm footage for me on that same Rank machine before the 4K upgrade. He is also the 70mm projectionist that works at 70mm special engagements in Atlanta. Great guy. CINEPOST is the name of the post house. Send him an email and discuss what look you are after. 

Edited by Dave Kovacs

10 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

The later generation Spirit is a totally different machine, nothing very similar honestly, it looks like a modern machine in a lot of ways, just slightly softer due to it's optics/imaging technology than a modern scanner. Still a very good machine, but maybe not quite the 90's look unless you muck with the scan quite a bit.

Your mucking suggestion is very hopeful .. i'll have to experiment with this

10 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

That's a Xena, which is an updated machine, it's CMOS with LED light. 

Then the Spirit looks to be the best available option

10 hours ago, Dave Kovacs said:

John Kuhn(mentioned in the YouTube description), is the same telecine operator that transferred lots of 35mm footage for me on that same Rank machine before the 4K upgrade. He is also the 70mm projectionist that works at 70mm special engagements in Atlanta. Great guy. CINEPOST is the name of the post house. Send him an email and discuss what look you are after. 

But as Tyler said it's now CMOS and LED ... only the chassis is the same 

8 hours ago, panagiotis agapitou said:

And this one Rank Cintel Millenium II 

https://www.reelone.fi/en/index.html

A test is the only way to know for sure. Send a roll of film to REELONE(In Finland) and CINEPOST(here in Atlanta), let your own eyes be the judge. I will call John at CINEPOST, tomorrow and discuss the upgrades.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Dave Kovacs said:

A test is the only way to know for sure. Send a roll of film to REELONE(In Finland) and CINEPOST(here in Atlanta), let your own eyes be the judge. I will call John at CINEPOST, tomorrow and discuss the upgrades.

I got a lot of footage transferred to hd prores on Millenium2 some years ago by ReelOne. It is a great crt scanner and I remember Anssi said that it is possible to get 4k out of it by using a external recorder, the Cintel engineer who regularly serviced the machine had listed the adjustments needed for this (some ad clients tended to do transfers this way by bringing their own recorder. the scanner was normally set for hd transfers) .  It is a great scanner color wise and the texture is quite unique compared to the solid state ccd/cmos scanners... it reproduces the grain texture very differently and you immediately see it. more like a painterly and blended grain compared to the razor sharp grain texture on other solid state scanners

• Upvote 2

Thanks, Aapo. There was a post house in town called VTA. They had a Millennium that performed VistaVision transfers on a regular basis. Their gear was purchased by Crawford Communications, so it is possible the Millennium may still be operational. Sidebar: I wonder how much difference the grain compares between CRT and CMOS in regards to scanned blue/green screen 35mm footage. Hmmm.... More testing is required.

9 hours ago, Dave Kovacs said:

Thanks, Aapo. There was a post house in town called VTA. They had a Millennium that performed VistaVision transfers on a regular basis. Their gear was purchased by Crawford Communications, so it is possible the Millennium may still be operational. Sidebar: I wonder how much difference the grain compares between CRT and CMOS in regards to scanned blue/green screen 35mm footage. Hmmm.... More testing is required.

I found this test online ... except from the super organic grain the way it handles the highlights is amazing 

• Upvote 1

It's good that Super 8mm is the chosen format for the test, because grain is much more pronounced in S8 vs 35mm. Interesting note: the European base color grade is cooler and pastel, the American color grade saturated the reds more.