Straight Up

Just caught this today at IFC.  Unusual 4:3 framing similar to Xavier Dolan's films. Hysterical headroom with odd eyelines.  A new trend in cinema?    After a while you get used to it but I wonder why people are doing this?  Do they want everyone to watch films on their phones in a vertical position?  Doesn't make a ton of sense.  Otherwise the film is decent with pleasant frames and lighting.  Some snappy dialogue and overall, the audience liked it a lot.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Michael LaVoie said:

Just caught this today at IFC.  Unusual 4:3 framing similar to Xavier Dolan's films. Hysterical headroom with odd eyelines.  A new trend in cinema?    After a while you get used to it but I wonder why people are doing this?  Do they want everyone to watch films on their phones in a vertical position?  Doesn't make a ton of sense.  Otherwise the film is decent with pleasant frames and lighting.  Some snappy dialogue and overall, the audience liked it a lot.

It looks like a fantastic movie! And the framing doesn't seem very unusual to me, probably because I like that kind of framing and I feel like they wanted to be able to see the world where the characters live in the way that large format photography shows it when you shoot a portrait with a large format camera in a wide shot. 

Looking forward to watching it  when it is released over here. 

Also, you might want to watch "Homecoming" from Mr. Robot's director! ? 

Have a good day.