Exterior car lighting

Anders Ledin

Hi, would really appreciate some advice here. How would you go about lighting this scene? Looks like there is some high, long narrow bounce that create the light-strip on the upper part, with a strip of blacks underneath, but I am in no way sure. Would I need separate lighting for the rims, and If the bounce I need would have to be very big, is it possible to get away with some big soft lights?

BCS.thumb.jpg.d036c1c2d2b1fdbeb4b333a5d66483a9.jpg

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Anders Ledin said:

Hi, would really appreciate some advice here. How would you go about lighting this scene? Looks like there is some high, long narrow bounce that create the light-strip on the upper part, with a strip of blacks underneath, but I am in no way sure. Would I need separate lighting for the rims, and If the bounce I need would have to be very big, is it possible to get away with some big soft lights?

BCS.thumb.jpg.d036c1c2d2b1fdbeb4b333a5d66483a9.jpg

Hi Anders and welcome to the forum. 

Will you need to light just the car from a wide shot or the car and the interior of the car with people in it?

Thanks!!

Have a lovely evening!

• Premium Member

That shot was just natural light, the hubcaps are reflecting the blue sky opposite the sunset. A car is a big mirror, even if you could drive a 20'x20' soft light diffusion frame alongside the car, it would just reflect as a medium-sized rectangle in half the car length.  This is why so many car commercials are shot near dusk to take advantage of a big soft sky reflecting over the car. Otherwise, on stage, you'd be talking about a huge diffusion frame over the car to get that effect.

• Upvote 3

A friend of mine went to the ASC master class and they did a whole segment on exterior car lighting. She said the trick was to shoot right after the sun went down / is going down so the sky is still bright enough to reflect in the car but you avoid the hotspot of the sun.