Aaton XTR - 16 volts battery for 54 fps

Maxime Berger

Hi ! 

I rencently bought an Aaton XTR and i am looking for solution to power my camera. I think the best solution is to put some V-LOCK battery but i don't know how to connect them on the camera !

I saw on the XTR manual that the voltage tolerance is from 10 to 18v. It means that i don't have to convert the voltage of the v-lock to 12v ? I can use it like that for every cameras speed ?

Last question, i saw that the camera needs a 16v battery for 54 fps ! It is right ?

If somebody with more experience could give me advice, i will be very grateful !

Thank you so much,

Maxime Berger

Capture d’écran 2020-04-02 à 11.52.52.png

• Premium Member

It's recommended you use 12v batteries because the voltage regulators over heat when they are trying to shed the higher voltage. We use 14.4v Lithium NP1 style batteries and they've been fine over the years on the XTR. We also have some 16.4v and I prefer not to go that high. Amperage is the most important thing when it comes to the high speed running. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/13/2020 at 12:10 AM, Maxime Berger said:

Hi Frank! 

I tried to run the camera at 54fps with a 12v battery and it works. Maybe it won't go up to 54 frames per second but you can do a slow motion anyway (not a regular one I think).

Hey Maxime hows it going.....what battery are you using then? My number's +34 711014545 whatsapp me as usual

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Thanks for the images Maxine. How does what you have done work. You have the original battery and what looks like a mount for another type on top....what have you done or what is the engineering part of what you have done that makes the battery work? I am ZERO electrical engineering-minded haha

I connect the (+) pin of the Aaton XLR4 on the (+) pin of the V-lock plate with a cable. Then the same with the negative pin. After, I roughly tinkered with the original battery to hook the v-lock plate into it hahah.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...