What are y’all doing these days?

Gregory Irwin

• Premium Member

Beautiful day in So Cal for a hike in the Angeles National forest. It's been a lot of this mixed with pictures of the cat in between edits. I've been non-stop working, it's another normal week for me, only at home. I can't wait to actually take a break and go on a shoot or something. Hiking is fun, but gosh is it a lot of work! lol 

B6C37F34-C17C-484B-B369-636055CB0AD0_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.3909208608150e59407f9476ad965055.jpeg

914B6298-1C69-413C-AE47-FF9F1458AE5D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a1f64d16138e2c8ace3261c80cfaddf5.jpeg

Edited by Tyler Purcell
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Tyler,

are the parking areas still open up in the national forest? Been meaning for a good hike and do enjoy it up there.

I've been re-readying poetry. Also, as I love sci-fi, somehow got hired as a consultant for a little bit of money, on a sci-fi pilot a friend of mine is creating. Basically helping them with the more science-y things of it. Still trying to finish ST:Picard as well, but it boils my blood a little bit.

Also have been cooking again, which I really haven't done much for myself in years. Last night as pork-chops in a dijon wine pan sauce, tonight is spicy ramen with mango roasted chicken.

Edited by Adrian Sierkowski
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

it wasn't like Rinzler's books on the making of the Star Wars movies. 

Don’t know how I missed that one, but I won’t make that mistake twice. Just ordered it, thanks. ????

I'm getting back to designing / 3D printing during the lockdown. Made this little guide that I epoxied on scissors to help me cut film in the changing bag. I could never do a straight cut and it was slowing me down while loading my Aaton 35III mags.

Works great and will also be useful when loading still film too.

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Adrian Sierkowski said:

are the parking areas still open up in the national forest? Been meaning for a good hike and do enjoy it up there.

Yep, they're slammed more than ever. We couldn't even park near the normal places we go. We wound up going way up to newcomb's ranch and a trail up there we haven't been to before, which killed us lol. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

I've got a newborn son that is getting a LOT of attention.

Julius_weektwo_006.jpg

Congratulations Uli! That’s wonderful. Enjoy your family during this time. 

G

For the last month I've been archiving hundreds of hours of talk radio, news radio and TV pertaining to the coronavirus. I bugged out of NYC a long time ago. No plans to go back in the foreseeable future. I'm deep in the rustbelt. Not many people round here to take photos of. And even so, do we need any more photos of people with masks on?

I decided to spend my social documentary time recording an archive of unscoped audio airchecks of how the coronavirus disaster unfolds. Here are some samples. Have recorded hundreds of hours. Probably this week will be my last week more or less recording. We will see. I'm getting burned out with the project. I got ADD. 

https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"teoli+coronavirus"

PS..if you use any of the audio for projects...give me some credit!

Yesterday I had to fix my girlfriend's camera's shutter that some how broke. It was a more than 10 year old camera and I figure if I had fixed a couple of lenses I could very well at least try see what went wrong. After disassembling everything I found that the problem was a broken rivet on one of the shutter blades and I was actually able to MacGayver a fix with a nail and a hammer. I put everything back together and it's alive. I do still have to calibrate the auto focus but I'm saving that for tomorrow. ?

Other than that I'm helping my girlfriend with her sculptures, working on a couple of screenplays, two of which are in development. A feature and a TV series pilot episode. Editing some videos and doing some grading and animations. But what I'm really thinking is how to shot a short film.

What are you guys planning after all this? All of our short term gigs fell through because they were during this time. I'm hopping they'll be rescheduled. Thankfully the long term stuff is still on as well as some stuff that I've been able to do from home.

Hope you guys are all well and spending your time creatively. ?

Here's a couple of shots: 

20200405_212019.jpg

20200405_175632.jpg 

20200405_203234.jpg

20200405_172842.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Reading the complete Sherlock Holmes collection. I don't usually have time for reading. 
  • Making healthy dinners at home with the wife. We don't usually have time for that. 
  • Calling friends and family to say hi and check in with them. 
  • Relearning how to composting and grow herbs. Don't usually have the time for that. 
  • Listening to as much music as I can. Don't usually have time for that. 
  • Meditating often to let go of the stress, anxiety, sadness
Edited by Michael Hammond
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Michael Hammond said:

Reading the complete Sherlock Holmes collection.

As it happens I just drew these Sherlock and Watson designs. Always wanted to do an animated comedy Sherlock Holmes version.I find that drawing is a great way to relax and forget the lock down for a few minutes.

SherlockPoses01.jpg

WatsonPoses1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Uli Meyer said:

As it happens I just drew these Sherlock and Watson designs. Always wanted to do an animated comedy Sherlock Holmes version.I find that drawing is a great way to relax and forget the lock down for a few minutes.

SherlockPoses01.jpg

WatsonPoses1.jpg

Very nice! I have a feeling these are going to stick with me as I read on and I will be imagining the characters looking like this. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Michael Hammond said:

Very nice! I have a feeling these are going to stick with me as I read on and I will be imagining the characters looking like this. 

Oops, apologies...

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Phil Rhodes said:

That's wonderful, Uli. Do you draw storyboards for the things you direct?

Thanks Phil. Yes, always. I like to figure things out upfront and often edit the boards to music to get a feel for how things might flow. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

Tonight’s selection:

CFA9F1F2-C906-4D3A-84FC-02EFC8679881.jpeg

Been watching about a half hour of that a night before bed for the past few nights. It's such inspiring cinematography.  Funny story, that movie was notoriously shot where I work in Chicago and before all this virus stuff happened, I directed a commercial with a couple local agency people.  On one of the rides to casting, one of the producers asked all of us who was the most famous person they've ever met.  And this guy in the back said Tom Hanks.  We all turned around and asked where he met him and he said he was an extra in the schoolyard scene of "Road to Perdition".  Which means he was like eleven or twelve when that movie came out... when I was out of college.  ?   Great movie though.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Justin Hayward said:

Been watching about a half hour of that a night before bed for the past few nights. It's such inspiring cinematography.  Funny story, that movie was notoriously shot where I work in Chicago and before all this virus stuff happened, I directed a commercial with a couple local agency people.  On one of the rides to casting, one of the producers asked all of us who was the most famous person they've ever met.  And this guy in the back said Tom Hanks.  We all turned around and asked where he met him and he said he was an extra in the schoolyard scene of "Road to Perdition".  Which means he was like eleven or twelve when that movie came out... when I was out of college.  ?   Great movie though.  

That’s a great story! I love that.  It is inspiring cinematography. Connie was one of a kind. I worked with Hanks on a picture called The Green Mile. What a gentleman he is. Enjoy the rest of the movie Justin!

G

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

That’s a great story!

I'll tell you another funny story related to me and big cinematographers visiting Chicago.  I was in my very early twenties and hired as a PA on a local job with a 4am call time.  I got there at 3:30am when it was still totally dark. I followed instructions and started loading this small van with all that it could fit which included not only lighting, but craft service, and everything we could possibly cram into it.  All of the sudden this dude showed up out of nowhere and started helping load the van with all this stuff.  He worked harder than me and I couldn't thank him enough. I just assumed he was another PA.

Then we got on the road and started shooting.  Turns out he was really good with the camera and some very simple, but exterior lighting that looked really great.  He basically brought "sunlight" to a cloudy day with a couple of 1k pars.  It was most impressive for a stupid corporate shoot like this. When we rode to the next location, I had to ask him where he learned some of this and where he came from....Then he told me... He was Michael Goi. And he was doing this as a favor for a friend he grew up with here in Chicago. I was shocked by that. Super freaking cool.  In my opinion.

Edited by Justin Hayward

• Premium Member

I am working at home which means saving lots of time which would otherwise be wasted on work trips. So I have lots of spare time to concentrate on projects like my DIY film 35mm film scanner :)  lots of stability issues to solve but the look is pretty interesting even at this stage 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM4aDaOw1X0  

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

I am working at home which means saving lots of time which would otherwise be wasted on work trips. So I have lots of spare time to concentrate on projects like my DIY film 35mm film scanner ?  lots of stability issues to solve but the look is pretty interesting even at this stage 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM4aDaOw1X0  

I will need to make some additional rollers too, the design will need some more of them to be smoother. I am doing the rollers by myself too ?

49745292296_e27586c52b_c.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Hmm. What're you using for a light source there?

it is a 20w power power LED similar style to these ones

sku_141711_1.jpg

and it's diffused with multiple layers of 250 gel. I attached the LED to a old GPU heatsink so it can be on for hours without overheating. that 20w is just barely enough for this type of scanning (takeup macro setup at about F4/5.6 split when I would like to get it to about F8 )and I will need to update it to at least 50w or preferably a 100w later. 

The stability is more urgent issue now because it is very time consuming to post process the material. I need to first manually stabilise every single frame vertically before any kind of automatic stabilisation can be added... I tested multiple approaches but the vertical jitter is just too much for available stabilisation tools so I first need to manually correct the framing frame by frame and then the automated stabilising and rolling shutter correction can be added. 

The system is a slow continuous motion scanner with speed of about 1 fps maximum. One of the reasons why the vertical stability is so bad is that I have some latency on the camera shutter trigger system and will need to update it to reduce timing variances between trigger mark and actual shutter release

• Upvote 2