Coronavirus: How will productions change how they shoot during the near/mid term future?

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

They have a clear agenda to achieve dominance in the world, and they will let nothing stand in their way.

I am sure you mean economic dominance and not some kind of poppycock James Bond villain conspiracy. This is what the Chinese passenger you talked to was on about and he is right. There are 1.4 billion people in China and "only" 330 million in the US. China's economy is much bigger.

3 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

just watch how fast China is brought to its knees.

What do you even mean by that? What does that look like in your opinion and what would be the practical results?

6 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

It is worth bearing in mind that the development of a useful vaccine or treatment is not guaranteed and herd immunity may never build up. T

If that turns out to be the case, think about how that affects how we see the world. It will never be looked at the same way.  Any content that is produced will either reflect the current situation or it will be set in historical, pre-virus times. Imagine a new season of a show like 'Bosch' or any other show that is set in the present that ignores the world we live in now.

Several scripts that I've been working on have all of a sudden become dated and irrelevant. I am sure that a lot of productions that have been put on hold will either be cancelled for that reason or will have to be rewritten.

Edited by Uli Meyer

Interesting indeed that shooting is happening in Denmark, Sweden, Netflix is in production in Iceland and South Korea. About intimate scenes, it'll just have to be done, you can't rewrite every film and have two characters standing that many feet away in every scene. The best way is really to have tests and antibody tests as accurate as possible (keeping in mind that some people seem to have very few antibodies, I guess folks with antibodies will have to give plasma), temperature checks as planned (although some don't necessarily have a temperature). 

Crowd scenes is an interesting one, it sounds super interesting the idea of using LIDAR to generate more CG crowds, which is often done but I'm real interested in seeing if VFX artists can manage for example to have only a few real extras on set (at the required distance) and then fill in the rest of the crowd with CG doubles. I'm sure many VFX heavy films and even others you wouldn't suspect have such shots combining real extras and CG ones and are invisible. But I wanna see if they can manage to make it look seamless in tighter shots if necessary, or perhaps most productions will keep such crowd shots in wide shots to avoid too much scrutiny.

And yes, as I expected, it seems productions shooting entirely on studio lots (like Fantastic Beasts 3 which hasn't started yet) will have a big advantage. Location shooting seems possibly harder to control but if safety measures are followed, yes, there will possibly still be some risk, it should be okay. Not NOW of course but August, September possibly when new cases decrease significantly (it's already happening in many countries, there's often a lag effect) and MORE tests are being done (test, test, test as they say). 

And Robin, I HIGHLY doubt productions will just let extras or crew people or cast just wander off the set and go get something, I don't see that happening. My guess is they'll keep super close tabs on anyone involved in the production. 

Also, there's zero need for the films and shows to come to reflect the current world, NO ONE wants to see that, they just don't. We know some are already working on projects using it as fodder but people want to escape. 

Edited by Manu Delpech

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Manu Delpech said:

Also, there's zero need for the films and shows to come to reflect the current world, NO ONE wants to see that, they just don't. We know some are already working on projects using it as fodder but people want to escape. 

If the current situation becomes the norm, it will reflect in films and shows. Of course it would.

• Like 1

Oh, I don't know. I can imagine some great script ideas. A post-apocalyptic world, or a future/near-future dystopia film a bit like Soylent Green (though how will we ever find another Edward G. Robinson?). Except a populace under house arrest. Comes forth a good policeman, the main protagonist, and his aged friend at home, working on a particular criminal case that leads to an amazing revelation. Could be done on a small budget. Shot on film, matte paintings rather than CGI. Would just need great direction and great performances. Small cast. Wow I'm already getting ideas.

Hi Manu ..  sorry I didnt mean wandering off during shooting .. but do they all sleep on the set in airtight tents .. they have to get home .. many cities that would mean public transport .. they have to go shopping .. very least inter act with their families .. its like having a peeing section of a swimming pool .. its just not going to work in an in industry like film production .. 

But I agree.. this will push studios to go all out on fantasy ,escapism films ..  the whole idea will be to escape for a couple of hours ..  saw the same in the 30,s depression .. Shirley Temple never would have happened without the Great Depression ..

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

A complete, utter, and total consumer boycott of all Chinese made products.  We can't ask governments to do this for us, the world owes China too much money. 

I don't think that's practical or necessary in the short term. In the medium term it has long been necessary to start moving away from treating China like a giant industrial estate for the world, which is not good for the world or, ultimately, China. It would take years, perhaps a decade, but clearly the current situation could be improved.

I have no confidence that any government we're likely to get - in any country of the developed world - has the fortitude to actually do this. They're short-termist to an absurd degree and generally take no interest in anything that will pay off more than a month or two hence, which is one reason we're in this dismally unbalanced trade situaiton in the first place. I hate to admit it, but the only government that has any long-term thinking going on here is China, which is a fact that should hugely embarrass every elected representative in the west.

As to the world owing China too much money, that actually helps, because that's debt that can be cancelled. One legal route to do it that I'm aware of is to fire up a case in the International Court of Justice, which is an organ of the United Nations (China can't be taken to the International Criminal Court in The Hague because it is not party to the Rome Statute; notoriously, neither is the USA anymore, but both are UN members.) Nobody can be formally required to turn up to the ICJ, but a failure to show, and to allow the court to find in favour of the plaintiff, effectively puts international law in abeyance with regard to that country (with a significant "within-reason" limitation; you can't then nuke them). At that point, for instance, all Chinese held debt could legally be cancelled, among many other measures.

Phil

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

A complete, utter, and total consumer boycott of all Chinese made products.

Ok fine, switch to Korea for manufacturing, then in a few years they become the new China. 

How many countries do we go through before we realize, we aren't going to make the products that China makes in other countries due to the low cost labor. 

14 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

But they can't make us buy their crap off the shelf, if consumers in all G7 countries start leaving Chinese made products on the shelves, just watch how fast China is brought to its knees.

Everything is made in china, EVERYTHING! I'm sorry but even in Canada, it's all made in China. The difference is, they'll put "made in Canada" on products that have been assembled in Canada, but using components made in China. If we made everything in North America, nobody would be able to afford anything. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

I am happy to buy from South Korea, at least they are a democracy, and a good global citizen. China is nothing more than an evil communist state.

Oh I couldn't agree with you more, but with money comes power. If China fails and South Korea excels, who says they won't turn into a shitty place as well? I mean lets face it, China only succeeds due to its low cost labor and minerals. If they ran out of minerals, (hard to imagine, but if they did) then they'd lose quite a bit of value. 

On 4/22/2020 at 5:39 PM, Phil Rhodes said:

What I suspect will actually happen is that in about six or eight weeks, gradually, we'll start risking it

Luckily, in six to eight weeks states like California are poised to begin reopening slowly. ?

On 4/22/2020 at 5:39 PM, Phil Rhodes said:

After the 2003 SARS outbreak, China issued a formal apology via the WHO for its appalling mishandling of the situation. In my view, the staggering damage done this time round demands a more practical response than merely saying sorry. 

I believe SARS came from a wet market, which were banned for a short amount of time after the outbreak but then re-opened. COVID-19 also came from a wet market where scientists believe the virus originated from a bat and a pangolin. Wet markets are notorious breeding grounds for a zoonotic disease because numerous live exotic animals are stacked on top of each other in cages. China re-opened these wet markets after SARS because wealthy elites apparently enjoy eating exotic animals, but the country as a whole don't use wet markets. (link)

On 4/22/2020 at 7:43 PM, Richard Boddington said:

A complete, utter, and total consumer boycott of all Chinese made products.

What will probably work best are economic sanctions on the scale of the Iran nuclear deal if China doesn't ban wet markets. Given the gravity of this pandemic, it would be foolish of China to keep them open.

On 4/22/2020 at 7:43 PM, Richard Boddington said:

The 19th Century belonged to Great Britain

I think the 19th Century belonged to France... ?

At least you managed to (unfairly) win the cricket world cup this time around over New Zealand! So that's one british sport you've managed to bring the world title back home for. 

Edited by David Peterson

1 hour ago, David Peterson said:

At least you managed to (unfairly) win the cricket world cup this time around over New Zealand! So that's one british sport you've managed to bring the world title back home for. 

You have to teach the "boundaries" .. ? 

Okay, this might be one of the stupidest ideas and I'm not sure how practical it would be BUT what IF films (of a certain budget I imagine or until there's a vaccine) used transparent masks on the actors' faces with a green lining around the edges.

Transparent enough so you can clearly see the actors' mouths and expressions and the lighting isn't too affected. And then remove it in post afterwards? Granted, any physical, intimate contact involving touching the face, kissing, etc wouldn't be practical for obvious reasons but you could use those for all scenes involving at least two characters or all scenes involving an actor if you want to be absolutely sure. Seeing how much VFX touchups are done these days, imperceptible things, or sometimes even removing things on faces and whatnot, wouldn't it be possible theoretically? And would it be cost prohibitive to do so?

7 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

In all seriousness your idea, would be budget breaking, you'd be looking at a bigger post budget than the entire budget of say a Hallmark movie, and so those films would simply go away.

I suggest we let the actors wear full on face masks, this will cut way way down on ADR costs. (Ha Ha, it's very funny when you think about it ?

R,

Oh no .. I just realized .. it means more super hero mask wearing films !

9 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

I suggest we let the actors wear full on face masks, this will cut way way down on ADR costs. (Ha Ha, it's very funny when you think about it ?

I definitely vote against this!

If everyone wore masks the cost cutting to the sound department would be even worse

Edited by David Peterson

1 hour ago, David Peterson said:

I definitely vote against this!

If everyone wore masks the cost cutting to the sound department would be even worse

I recently read, in Audio World magazine ,that a quick survey had found the median yearly income for sound recordists in the  TV/Film industry .. was just under $2 Million .. and there was concern this may slip to $1.5m over the next few years .. talk of selling Ferrari,s and homes in the Hamptons..  hang in there guys..  when the going gets tough ,the tough lubricant their poles ..  you will never boom alone .. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn
spelling

• Premium Member

So some news coming down the wire form dateline and a few other news agencies... The insurance companies got hit so bad from all this they're going to struggle to provide bonding for future productions. There are some people who want to rent my equipment and they're having difficulty finding anyone to bond their production. Deadline says it will be a while before the insurance companies can figure out this problem. I haven't called any insurance companies yet, but I'm concerned about that. 

Keep productions going. Just put masks on everyone crew and actors. I've been doing lots of comix with masks on people, but mostly cell phone people with masks. Masks may be our new normal.

Don't let the virus keep you down...providing you are young, healthy and can risk things.

That being said, I bugged out of NYC long ago with no plans to return unless the virus goes away by some miracle. Too old and bad lungs. I'd be dead for sure. 

Here is a RPPC I just sent out for a mailing to museums and galleries. What I sent out had the gals shirt buttoned up. But it still is an attention getter for an RPPC. 

nsfw

'On the first date 4.20.2020'

https://archive.org/search.php?query=On The First Date 4.20.2020

I don't have to put masks on my art, but I do lots of time. For now it is our world, so why not.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Now, the BBC said that when you breath out in the cold and see your breath, that is the same breath that can carry the corrosive virus a long distance. They also said in humid weather the moist breath connects with the moist humid air and falls to the ground faster as it is heavier.  And that is why the flu is less a danger in the humid summers. Also I read the Italians found virus on air pollution, although they don't know if it is viable. 

If this is the case and there is no cure or vaccine, then we just have to keep going best we can.  I'm no MD or brainiac, but from what I gather they have never found a vaccine for any of the coronaviruses over the last decade. I had read any trial cure destroyed the body.

I think all these 'we will find a vaccine in 6 months or 1 year' deals are just to keep you hopeful until the truth sets in ...that we wont find a vaccine. 

You know, humans can't fix every problem they come up with. Better have a 'plan B' to keep things rolling. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. I don't like living like this.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

2 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

Did you drive a car today? You took a risk you could of been killed.  Same for 50 other activities.

Reminds me of "Dr. Phil's" "360,000 die in pools every year." This is an argument that does nothing to help prove your point. Spouting off death rates of other non contagious causes of death certainly does not make Covid19 any less deadly. 

I'm hoping that safety precautions can be put into place for everyone to return to work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

So some news coming down the wire form dateline and a few other news agencies... The insurance companies got hit so bad from all this they're going to struggle to provide bonding for future productions. There are some people who want to rent my equipment and they're having difficulty finding anyone to bond their production. Deadline says it will be a while before the insurance companies can figure out this problem. I haven't called any insurance companies yet, but I'm concerned about that. 

Oh dear, I wonder what implications this has for us who have a lot of personal gear for work when we need to renew our insurance contracts?

7 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

I've said 20 times on here, we will never live in a world without viruses, disease, germs, bacteria, it's not possible.  We need to live alongside these micro organisms and go about our lives.  Lives that are never risk free.  Did you drive a car today? You took a risk you could of been killed.  Same for 50 other activities.

I was summarily flamed of course by other forum members, I will in time be proven right.  As there will be no magical *poof* moment where COVID - 19 just goes away and is no longer an issue.  You want to work on a film set, you are taking a risk, period.  Now let's just get back to work because this is now past the stupidity phase.

Yeah, I too yearn for 2019 when old and sick people didn't die.

7 hours ago, Ben Ericson said:

"360,000 die in pools every year."

Some countries/cities require all private swimming pools to have fences around your pool (even if your property already has a fence around it! And you have no children). Other countries/cities don't require this. 

There are reasonable health & safety responses, and there are over the top responses as well.

Edited by David Peterson

7 minutes ago, David Peterson said:

Yeah, I too yearn for 2019 when old and sick people didn't die.

Some countries/cities require all private swimming pools to have fences around your pool (even if your property already has a fence around it! And you have no children). Other countries/cities don't require this. 

There are reasonable health & safety responses, and there are over the top responses as well.

I was told this actually  viewing a house in NZ..  you need the fence around the pool , even if you never live in the house .. let alone don't have small children and wild parties  .. because if some kids climb over your fence and subsequently drown in your un fenced  pool .. you are legally liable for their death .. and be prosecuted and sued by their parents .. did seem a bit strange to me at the time.. 

4 minutes ago, Robin R Probyn said:

I was told this actually  viewing a house in NZ..  you need the fence around the pool , even if you never live in the house .. let alone don't have small children and wild parties  .. because if some kids climb over your fence and subsequently drown in your un fenced  pool .. you are legally liable for their death .. and be prosecuted and sued by their parents .. did seem a bit strange to me at the time.. 

Bingo, that's exactly right. 
(except I don't think it is the parents who would prosecute you, the government would do that for them)

The logic does seem weird. If they climbed over one fence to get into your property... what's stopping them climbing over your pool's fence??

Edited by David Peterson