Connected tracking shot references

Pete Raynell

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing a shot where the actor is standing on something like a western dolly, the camera is then rigged off the dolly (most likely on a stabilised head), as the dolly moves the camera and actor move locked together to give the effect that the actor is sort of floating/sliding along.

Firstly is there a name for this technique I'm forgetting? I was thinking along the lines of Snorricam, but the camera is not connected the the actors body.

Secondly, I know I have seen this effect before but can't for the life of me remember where, can anyone suggest some references?

Thanks,

Pete.

I don't know if there's a name for it, but I did shots like with with a Doorway dolly. It was to do close shots riding with a boy on an airport moving walkway. We weren't allowed to do these on the real thing, just the wider static shots at the end of the walkway, but we had access to a parallel service corridor that looked the same.

We pushed the  dolly up this corridor, with the boy and  camera hard mounted onto it for a number of tight shots. It still fools me into thinking we're on the walkway and I know how it was done. 

13 hours ago, Curt Massof said:

Sopranos used a shot like this in season one. It's part of a dream sequence where Christopher is being haunted by his first murder victim.

Cool effect.

https://youtu.be/f8rto8GTP2Y?t=30

Thanks, examples like that are exactly what im after to show the director. really need a few more!