Has anyone tried this KAHL Super 8 film?

Shane C Collins

Has anyone tried Kahl UT 18 color reversal 50 ASA Super 8 film? It's suppose to be similar to the new Ektachrome 100D. I read about this film today but never heard about it before. On8mil a film company in the UK is selling this stock and other's as well. I thought about buying a roll and trying it out to see how the colors, and grain compare to Ektachrome. The only problem is I don't really want to send it back to the UK for processing. I'm in the US so shipping to and back would probably take weeks. I wonder if anyone here in the US could process this film? I'm assuming it's E-6? Here's a link to the Kahl UT 18 https://www.on8mil.com/product/kahl-super-8-film-ut-18-incl-film-processing/

Kahl_UT_18_On8mil (1).jpg

Qualtiy of Kahl films was variable and often poor. It is expired material, poorly perforated and sloppy packaging. Often you get 12  rather than 15 metres and riddled with particles or hair(s).

Kahl has ceased film production. Odd enough.  They limit themselves to scanning now. If you want  a material for future use, don't count on this product. 

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Hiya  i have exposed quite a few 8mm rolls of ut18, not super 8. My findings are the same as above. Poor perfs, variable quality. If you want a film that gives you instant 1970s looking iffy quality home movies its amazing stuff. Kodak 7294 is the best reversal stock currently available and imo best e6 stock kodak have ever produced. On8mil is not the best option to purchase as processing by kahl is included, i always use Dwaynes photo and i,m uk based. 

1 hour ago, andy oliver said:

Hiya  i have exposed quite a few 8mm rolls of ut18, not super 8. My findings are the same as above. Poor perfs, variable quality. If you want a film that gives you instant 1970s looking iffy quality home movies its amazing stuff. Kodak 7294 is the best reversal stock currently available and imo best e6 stock kodak have ever produced. On8mil is not the best option to purchase as processing by kahl is included, i always use Dwaynes photo and i,m uk based. 

Yes I've shot about 5 rolls of the new Ektachrome 7294 and love it! The colors, contrast, sharpness, and latitude are very good. Projected this film is amazing! I've had to add a bit more light though to really make this stock shine. At least 1 stop in my case seems to work. 

Edited by Shane C Collins

I've not shot any KAHL UT-18 myself, but have processed a lot of it.

This film cannot be compared with Ektachrome 100D in any way for quality.
It's good for what it is ( grainy, limited colour palette and no real D-min ) ..... it's loved by many artists, and is superior compared to Wittnerchrome 200D.

Ektachrome 100D is a superb filmstock. If properly exposed and processed, it looks beautiful on the screen !

John S ?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I had used both Kahl ut18 and ut21, I guess both of them are AGFA chrome film because they both looks even more yellowish than kodak 100D... however the grain and sharpness are excellent. And I had tried NC15 with reversal development too, it has super fine grain and sharpness,  however the color was pale it lacks red or magenta...

• Tim Tyler changed the title to Has anyone tried this KAHL Super 8 film?