Aaton Handgrip

Sean Dahlberg

Two questions that may be a bit elementary but I can't seem to find these items anywhere.

1.  Does anyone make an extender for the right Aaton handgrip (as in the photo)?

2.  Did Aaton every make a left wooden handgrip?  Currently I use a Wooden Camera one that's "similar" but it feels like a toy compared to the Aaton version.  

Thank you for the help!

aaton handgrip.jpg

I've never seen a long extension like that before but the short one's were pretty common. I'd try places like Oppenheimer, Alan Gordon, VP, Serious Gear, Rental houses or maybe the Aaton Anonymous facebook group to see if anyone has one lying around they'd want to sell. 

RE: Left handed grip, my friends XTR package came with one but I haven't seen one since. I think it may have been made by Oppenheimer camera and it also featured a double sided LW 15 clamp so you could use L/R wooden grips at the same time. 

There's also these foam grips floating around that you can attach to either side, I'm not sure who made it but it came with my XTR when I bought it. 

IMG_7761 (1).jpg

Edited by Evan Walsh

Evan, thank you for this response, super helpful.  Do you know if they still make that double sided LW 15 clamp?  If I could find this, I'd settle for my left grip being the Wooden Camera one...I'm going to do my own searching but figured I'd ask anyways.   Thanks again man!

I'm not sure if they do, they may still have some in stock. My friend had bought his XTR Prod package from Oppenheimer a few years ago and it came with some accessories they had manufactured like the NP battery adaptor.

Might be worth shooting them and e-mail, they may be able to point you in the right direction if anything.

Could also try Pierre Michoud (pierrem@aaton.com) he still works for Aaton/Transvideo and I've heard they still have some stock of Aaton factory parts. If they don't have anything like that he could also probably point you in the right direction. 

KinoGrip makes an "Aaton inspired" wooden hand grip that seems like the closest imitation:  https://www.kinogrip.com/ 

You can choose from a range of customizations to add, one of which is Left-Handed Grip:  https://www.kinogrip.com/store/p2/Grip_and_Cable_Upgrades.html 

I have no affiliation with them and have not bought from them, I just know they exist.  

• 8 months later...

Late to the party as I seldom check-in here. The Kinogrip looks nice.  The Movcam grip extension looks similar but shorter. Perhaps they make a longer one?

Alternate (and cheaper) DIY idea.

1. Go to an industrial metal supplier and look thru their cut-off/scrap bin for a piece of flat aluminum stock that's thick enough not to flex.
  2. Buy two appropriate handgrip rosettes and lock knobs.
  3. Go home and hacksaw off to desired length.
  4. Use a coin or round object slightly larger than rosettes to trace as a template for the rounded ends.
  5. Round ends with file and finish with emery or abrasive cloth
  6. Drill and tap holes appropriately. (It's easier and more accurate if you have access to a drill press)
Edited by Doyle Smith