education in australia

hmm full cinematography courses ? only aftrs in sydney offer one i think, but they also offer short courses which are more specialized, lighting classes.... in brisbane and melbourne.

i am doing my masters at bond uni, which just recently got a very nice super16 camera package, but they dont have a special cinematography degree either.

are there any full time proffesional cinematography courses in AUS.

What are the good institutions

Check this site out. The school is APA International Film School. It is a two year film school in Sydney which I am currenty undertaking. The strength of the school in my opinion is the Cinematography program. You get heaps of set experience.

http://www.apa.edu.au/

• 1 month later...

Dmuench, I live in Melbourne, do you know any names of lighting courses in Melbourne? I did a 2 week Summer School course VCA was running at the start of the year. Do you know if it is similar to that by any chance? Cheers.

hmm full cinematography courses ? only aftrs in sydney offer one i think,

AFTRS provides a fantastic and very intensive course with good resources and teachers: it has a good track record with Academy Award nominees too (AFTRS graduates nominated for the past 4 years, with some winners too!). THe full time course is for people with industry experience and/or a first degree, and leads to a MA. Entry is very competitive.

But it's a government funded school, so entry is quite fairly restricted to Australian residents.

APA (mentioned in another posting) is a smaller alternative in Sydney: its students and alumni (several on this list I think) certainly seem to think highly of it - you can't go past a recommendation like that.

You might want to look at the ACS website

http://www.acs.asn.au/resources/training

• 4 weeks later...