WTB Kern Switar 10mm f/1.6 RX Lens

Jordan Beard

I'm looking to buy a Kern Switar 10mm f/1.6 RX lens in good condition. Ideally looking for the later Preset version but open to any RX copy. Shoot me a PM or email (jordan@canopyfilms.com) if you've got one that you're happy to part with!

If you are looking for a 10mm lens plus 5,7, you should also consider the "Aspheron" super wide lens, which transformes the 1,6/10mm Switar into a 5,5mm lens.

Needs the preset Switar with extended close focussing. I have this combo with my S-16 Bolex RX4, super sharp, nearly no distortion.

It's worth a trial.

Volker

3 minutes ago, Volker Bendt said:

If you are looking for a 10mm lens plus 5,7, you should also consider the "Aspheron" super wide lens, which transformes the 1,6/10mm Switar into a 5,5mm lens.

Thanks for that suggestion Volker. I hadn’t heard of the wide angle adapter for the Switar— sounds like a great option!

As far as I know, all Aspheron lenses in various sizes were manufactured by Schneider Kreuznach, distributed by Kern for Bolex Switar, Zeiss for Super Speed 9,5 / 12 and Vari- Sonnar and most common ( and cheap )for Nizo / Beaulieu and Leicina S -8 cameras  as Ultrawide size I-III with filter threads 49 / 52 / 55/ 62 / 67 mm.

The Kern Aspheron is not easy to find (I will keep mine), but Nizo Ultrawide  I or II might also fit the Switar 10, if you find a filter adapter.

Good luck,

Volker

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Steve,

yes, at least the Preset version of the Switar 10mm f/1,6 RX covers S-16.

There are no scans to demonstrate.  I'm fully analog, shooting reversal for projection.

I have a Bauer projector converted to S-16 for my home movie.

While the S-16 camera gate is 7,5x12,4mm, if you check the original frame there is a very little amount of darkening in the  corners, to me it's neglectable.

The window of the projector is 7,2x12,1mm and there is absolutely no vignetting.

Even the Aspheron 5,5mm is fully usable.

Give your Bolex the kick. I love mine for traveling.

Cheers, Volker

On 12/24/2020 at 2:45 AM, Steve Dunn said:

Does anyone know if the Kern Switar 10mm f/1.6 RX image circle covers s16? Thinking of getting a Rex-4 converted...

It does cover Super 16, but like Volker said, there's a little bit of vignetting at the corners. This was an impromptu piece that I shot using a Switar 10mm (the preset version, if I recall) and a Switar 25mm. FYI, the levers tend to get broken off from the preset Switar 10mm :  

Thanks for the responses Volker and Webster, its really helpful. I seem to be finding differing information online though, for instance in this video the 10mm seems to cover super16 with hardly any vignetting compared to Websters video:

Also on this website it offers two opinions on whether it covers the format... http://bolexh16user.net/Super16mmLensAdvice.htm 

I dont see how there can be such a difference in opinion if the lens circle and gate size are consistent across the board. 

Anyone know what differentiates the 'Preset' version of the lens from others? Could this have a slightly larger image circle? 

Hi Steve,

the older Switar 10mm with smaller front diameter (non preset) was told not to cover S-16.

The preset Switar also with Aspheron 5,5  will cover S-16 without limitations. This is my personal experience.

I wonder, how they could produce a pinhole effect. Mounting the Aspheron, you have to remove the sunshade ring before.

Good luck,

Volker

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 3:41 AM, Steve Dunn said:

Thanks for the responses Volker and Webster, its really helpful. I seem to be finding differing information online though, for instance in this video the 10mm seems to cover super16 with hardly any vignetting compared to Websters video:

Also on this website it offers two opinions on whether it covers the format... http://bolexh16user.net/Super16mmLensAdvice.htm 

I dont see how there can be such a difference in opinion if the lens circle and gate size are consistent across the board. 

Anyone know what differentiates the 'Preset' version of the lens from others? Could this have a slightly larger image circle? 

I think what you're seeing is the difference in F stop. I'm guessing you're shooting between F4 and F8, where as Webster looks like he's shooting between F2 and F2.8?

You will also see more vignetting on close focus, less on infinity... If I remember correctly. I own the preset version and definitely get more noticeable vignetting wide open.