Alexa Mini - 200fps 2x Anamorphic?

• Premium Member

Hi guys,

We're prepping a Mini for a scope shoot at the moment, and we'll have one day of shooting where we're filming everything at 200fps. However the Mini doesn't seem to want to give us any kind of desqueeze options in the HD/2k (200fps-capable modes). The downsampled and desqueezed HD/2k recording modes top out at 120fps, so they're no good to us. And the 16:9 modes that can do 200fps just grey the desqueeze option out.

Is there any way to get around this and have the camera desqueeze for us while shooting at 200fps? Or do we have to switch out to 3rd-party monitors in order to get the desqueeze?

Would appreciate any wisdom on the topic anyone could throw at me.

Cheers,

Mark

On 7/10/2020 at 5:30 AM, Mark Kenfield said:

Hi guys,

We're prepping a Mini for a scope shoot at the moment, and we'll have one day of shooting where we're filming everything at 200fps. However the Mini doesn't seem to want to give us any kind of desqueeze options in the HD/2k (200fps-capable modes). The downsampled and desqueezed HD/2k recording modes top out at 120fps, so they're no good to us. And the 16:9 modes that can do 200fps just grey the desqueeze option out.

Is there any way to get around this and have the camera desqueeze for us while shooting at 200fps? Or do we have to switch out to 3rd-party monitors in order to get the desqueeze?

Would appreciate any wisdom on the topic anyone could throw at me.

Cheers,

Mark

I just checked on my Mini to confirm - No love for 16:9 sensor mode, under both Project and Monitor>SDI. You'll have to desqueeze with your external monitors. It's a shame though - you will be chopping off a lot of active sensor area by shooting anamorphic in 16:9. Unless you're doing 1.3x anamorphic to 2.40:1 final ratio?

• Premium Member

Yeah, after a bunch of fiddling that became apparent. Fortunately I was able to use the Arri Frame Guide Builder to create some custom 6:5 frame guides to import into the camera  (with masks) to give us accurate framing, and then we just did the desqueeze in the monitors.

Footage came out very nicely.

I shot mostly at 400 ISO to compensate for the higher noise of smaller sensor area.