35mm Home Movie

Uli Meyer

Look beautiful Uli, I’m inspired to dust off my moviecam- I think I have (possibly) the last 6000 feet of fuji eterna in existence...

im curious- what sort of price per foot can you get at Kodak for processing and tk these days? Do they deal with small minimums?

Not used film in nearly 10 years..!

cheers

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, charles g clark said:

im curious- what sort of price per foot can you get at Kodak for processing and tk these days? Do they deal with small minimums?

It is always worth getting in touch with them and see if you can make a deal. 400ft is the minimum but again, just ask. 35mm develop and scan is expensive but since I do not own a car and have no mortgage,  I can swing this occasionally.

• Like 1

Now here is an example of the importance of keeping the info with and within the films. It underscores the fact that ...sooner or later you'll all end up on eBay. 

This guys film life ended up at a storage unit auction and made its way to eBay. That is were all the films came from.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&ul_noapp=true&_ssn=geam_1&item=284053968728&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=16mm&_sacat=0

The pickers will get your remains at the storage units or estate sales and all of the particulars are lost to history. (If they are not well documented.) In this case the collector put his name on the cans. But with home movies and photos it is 99% of the time. As well as films I get from other collectors. No chain of provenance.

And sometimes the lost history is 100% of the time. I have a huge collection of bobbysoxers. 100% unknowns.

https://archive.org/details/BobbySoxersD.D.TeoliJr.A.C..

Every once in a while, if you are lucky, they write down the first names of the people on the back of a photo. Doesn't do you much good, but at least they tried.

Make sure all your work is documented and the related ephemera is preserved on any personal and commercial projects you work on. 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 1:41 PM, Uli Meyer said:

It is always worth getting in touch with them and see if you can make a deal. 400ft is the minimum but again, just ask. 35mm develop and scan is expensive but since I do not own a car and have no mortgage,  I can swing this occasionally.

Thanks Uli, sorry I didn't see your reply!

I'm going to hopefully get my SR3 out to london next week to capture the emptiness so I'll give the labs a call then!

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, charles g clark said:

Thanks Uli, sorry I didn't see your reply!

I'm going to hopefully get my SR3 out to london next week to capture the emptiness so I'll give the labs a call then!

Not very empty during this lockdown, I’m afraid. The streets are busy as usual. 

4 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

If you get a twin stroller you can have both babies side by side!

Yes, it's very useful! Also if you get one that's also a trailer, you can take your both babies to countryside and enjoy the scenery bicycling!

https://www.thule.com/en-ca/bike-trailers/multisport-trailers/thule-chariot-cheetah-xt-2-_-10100824

Edited by Heikki Repo

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Heikki Repo said:

Yes, it's very useful! Also if you get one that's also a trailer, you can take your both babies to countryside and enjoy the scenery bicycling!

https://www.thule.com/en-ca/bike-trailers/multisport-trailers/thule-chariot-cheetah-xt-2-_-10100824

It actually is a trailer. A Hamax Outback. Highly recommended. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Sharing more home movie footage. This time my boy's first steps, shot during the last London lockdown in November on one 400ft roll of Vision 3 500T 5219. I had to add a bit of lighting to the existing daylight for some of the interior shots. Nothing fancy since there just isn't any time with a baby running around. Just positioned a Kino Flo pointing in the same direction the natural light comes through the window. It's pretty obvious in some shots but more successful in others. Most of the time exposure was at f2.8 (exterior shots at f.8 and f11). I used a Zeiss CP.3 25mm and a Zeiss LWZ.2 15.5-45mm. Camera: Arricam LT 3perf. All a one man operation and great fun to do.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is gorgeous footage Uli. Thank you for sharing these videos. I'm going to be a father in February, and I'm trying to convince my wife that we should document as much as we can on film, and I'm pointing to these videos ? I have a Bolex H16 on the way, so that will likely be where I start. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Patrick Higgins said:

This is gorgeous footage Uli. Thank you for sharing these videos. I'm going to be a father in February, and I'm trying to convince my wife that we should document as much as we can on film, and I'm pointing to these videos ? I have a Bolex H16 on the way, so that will likely be where I start. 

Thanks Patrick and congratulations! I really enjoy the process despite the limitations to documenting on film. Available light, no sound and the sheer weight of the cameras are some. I love the look though. My wife has her digital camera handy for all the stuff that's too difficult to catch on film.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Lol, he sure likes to go fast!

I dig the swing shot. I don’t think it’s overlit at all, seems just right to me.

I kind of like that one too. Has got something ‘Hammer Film’ about it. ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Foggy day on Hampstead Heath today. Took the 235 and a Zeiss CP.3 85mm. Apart from a longer focal length, are there any other things to consider when shooting in fog? Any filters that enhance the fog atmosphere?

IMG_6404.jpg

• Premium Member

Fog, Double-Fog, Low-Con... though today I'd say Tiffen Smoque is the best for that effect. Won't be dimensional like real fog but it may help blend shots that have less fog to ones with more fog. But there's nothing really like true fog -- unless you add your own fog.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Fog, Double-Fog, Low-Con... though today I'd say Tiffen Smoque is the best for that effect. Won't be dimensional like real fog but it may help blend shots that have less fog to ones with more fog. But there's nothing really like true fog -- unless you add your own fog.

Thanks David! Good to know for a future project set in the fog. I'll be using a fog machine but that Tiffen Smoque sounds like a good one to have in the bag.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Here's the 4th installment, should you be interested. A little long at 4 1/2 minutes. This is primarily for my family to enjoy hence the slower pacing. The first few shots are 200T and the rest shot on 50D and 250D. My boy is growing fast and it is getting difficult to catch him in front of the lens. Looking forward to more filming in the summer with hopefully less Covid restrictions.

• Like 3

Looks great once again! Thanks for sharing ?

Just be warned: when he grows a bit more, you'll want to have a focus puller and someone to prepare your camera while you use the exposure meter ?

There comes a time in every family man's life when the zoom lens, automatic exposure and wide depth of field of super-8 becomes a very attractive option (sigh)... ?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Heikki Repo said:

Looks great once again! Thanks for sharing ?

Just be warned: when he grows a bit more, you'll want to have a focus puller and someone to prepare your camera while you use the exposure meter ?

There comes a time in every family man's life when the zoom lens, automatic exposure and wide depth of field of super-8 becomes a very attractive option (sigh)... ?

Thanks Heikki! Yes, the follow focus is a tricky challenge. Almost impossible on your own as you can see in some of the softer shots. The metering I find less of a problem, it's often quite easy to guess. Getting my son to not turn his back and run off as soon as you roll camera is the trickiest part ?

2 minutes ago, Uli Meyer said:

Thanks Heikki! Yes, the follow focus is a tricky challenge. Almost impossible on your own as you can see in some of the softer shots. The metering I find less of a problem, it's often quite easy to guess. Getting my son to not turn his back and run off as soon as you roll camera is the trickiest part ?

We have to learn from the wildlife documentarists, I guess ?

• Like 1