ARRI-flex Standard Mount Adapter

Hey everybody

I own an old ARRIFLEX 2C including a whole set of Schneider kreuznach Xenon optics...

For an upcoming project, I play with the thought about using those.
They would be used only little, in "reflections about the past"

The film is going to be shoot on an Alexa with PL Mount. 

Now, is there any Adapter for Arri Standart Lens to PL Mount? Or those that not work about the focal plane?
I was looking for it online but didn't find anything solid...

Big thx for a short feedback! Philipp

These adapters exist. Duclos in California sells a pricey Arri Standard -> PL adapter, but it looks super solid. I've seen a few different designs in the $200-400 range like this one. Someone was selling one a few months ago on here, they might still have it. I've only ever used Arri S to PL adapters with a zoom lens on my Red Scarlet-W. You might run into issues using it on an Alexa depending on the depth of the PL mount... maybe someone else has experience using these adapters on Alexas.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Hey Philipp, you're still dealing with this issue? I made a couple of experiences with adapters and different PL mounts, so bottom line is: one of the best allround ARRI standard to PL adapters is the one of Les Bosher (300 GBP, totally worth it, small image) - it perfectly fits even the short ALEXA Mini PL mount and holds on lenses that need to revolve for focusing (that are quite some!). An old original ARRI PL-Adapter of mine (large pic) works equally fine on the ALEXA, but doesn't fit the Mini.

The comparably cheap RAF adapters reflect the low price in lack of stability and usability - they dont't allow the revolving, because they are mounted by screws (attention for damage on the barrel!) fixed to the barrel - that might work for lenses with no need to revolve, but the day-to-day set routine demands a lot regarding stability...

PL - Arri Std - new.jpg

Les-Bosher-ARRI-Standard-to-PL-Lens-Mount.jpg

Edited by Matthias Fleischer

• 2 years later...

The comparably cheap RAF adapters reflect the low price in lack of stability and usability - they dont't allow the revolving

Hi!

I'm glad to see mentioning of our adapters ?

Meantime, we made new version already that works correctly with Arri Standard primes, and implements a quick-change mechanism - you can mount the adapter to your camera and change lenses without removing the adapter from the camera. I don't know other adapters with such a feature. The drawback is possibility to pull the lens our of the adapter accidentally, but this should not happen if you use the equipment carefully.

https://rafcamera.com/adapter-arri-s-to-arri-pl

Thank you.

Raf.

arri-standard-(arri-s)-lens-to-arri-pl-camera-mount-adapter.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

Rafael,

How far does the wide part of the adapter protrude behind the back of the PL mount face?  I have a Super-16 converted Eclair NPR that has a somewhat shallow cavity inside the PL mount and some adapters stick back too far.

Thanks,

Duncan

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Rafael Pankratau said:

Hi Duncan.

This adapter requires 21mm of clear depth.

Thank you.

Raf.

Oof - my crazy PL conversion has 12mm, maybe 13mm of full diameter depth, then a little more with a taper.  Looks like I may be limited to the setscrew adapters, and lenses with native PL mounts.

Thanks!

Duncan