Question about Canon Zoom 518 Auto Super 8 Camera

Derek En

Hi all

I recently came across a Canon Zoom 518 Auto Super 8 camera that has seen better days but I was determined to get it working!  There was a lot of battery acid corrosion from batteries being left in the top and the handle.

I was able to get the top battery compartment clean using vinegar.  I could not for the life of me get the handle compartment open.  The acid must have sealed that shut. I guess no auto zoom for me.

Once cleaned, I threw some batteries in the top and started playing around with it.  What I found was, when I turned the R L dial to 'R', the camera started going.  And by going I mean, the shutter started going and the film transport started moving.  This was without pulling the trigger at all.  When I moved it to the dot, everything stopped and I when I pulled the trigger, it started doing its thing.  The odd thing was, when pulling the trigger, it seemed a little quieter, almost as though the shutter opening and closing was not as loud, but it was still going.

Is this normal behavior?  From what I've read I should be able to put it to R and then press the trigger to start filming?  Is my camera pooched?

• 1 year later...