Recommendations for medium format film SLR

Patrick Cooper

So I haven't shot medium format film for a long time. In the past, I used a Yashica D TLR with Yashinon lenses and a Koni Omega Rapid. They were both obtained very cheaply and allowed me to get into medium format on a very small budget. Both cameras have produced some nice images but they do have their limitations. I had a large print of a landscape image produced by the Koni Omega that won Second Prize in a 2008 art exhibition and also sold at the same exhibition. That same image also won a competition in a photography magazine. Though I admit that I have sort of a love / hate relationship with this camera. I have had reliability issues with it which has led to some very frustrating experiences.

I am on the lookout for an MF camera that will offer me more versatility and is also reliable as well. I think Ive decided on an SLR. I would really like to make use of the 6 x 7cm format to have that edge with image quality (especially when doing enlargements.) The two obvious choices for SLRs with that particular film size would be the Pentax 67 and the Mamiya RB67. Unfortunately, the prices are still insanely high on the used market. So I may have to consider something else.

What other options would there be? I could consider 6 x 6cm. To be honest, I'm not very keen on 6 x 4.5cm because of that smaller frame size. Then again, when you crop 6 x 6cm to a rectangle, you'd end up with something very close to 6 x 4.5cm so maybe I'm being a bit silly. Even so, 6 x 4.5cm would be very low down in my preferences. Apart from the single lens reflex design, some of the other features I would like are a selection of good quality optics (interchangeable lenses), mirror lock up and a B or T setting with a mechanical shutter. I would also like a wide angle lens which has roughly the equivalent field of view as a 24mm in 35mm format. So for 6 x 7cm, that would be about 45mm and for 6 x 6cm, it would be about 40mm.

I have looked at the Bronica SLR cameras. Though a lot of them appear to have electronically controlled shutters. I would be happier with a mechanical shutter because I would be doing lots of long exposures and it would be nice to do so without batteries. I don't suppose there would be any Bronica models that would have a mechanical shutter in addition to mirror lock up?

I haven't really looked at Hasselblad because I would imagine they would still be crazily expensive. Regardless, I do realise that with whatever camera system I get, a MF wide angle lens with the equivalent fov of a 24mm is going to be fairly pricey. 

If large frame size, mechanical shutters and wide angle are something you are looking for - and all of it also being somewhat affordable - have you given any thought to 4x5" field camera? It is possible to get MF backs for them as well.

It is a different experience compared to SLRs, but for landscape photography I like the format quite a lot. And the cameras & lenses are rather inexpensive.

I had a really strong urge to get into large format quite a while ago but never took the plunge. I do admit there is amazing image quality with 4 x 5. I had the impression that field cameras were a lot more expensive than studio cameras? Yea there is great versatility with view cameras with the ability to attach MF backs etc. Though if I was shooting specifically MF film, I think I'd prefer a camera that was more compact - especially if I was travelling interstate or overseas. 

Well, it depends quite a lot on the model. Mine is a Penta 45F, which is a South Korean clone of Wista 45. It cost me about 200 € on Ebay. Lenses about 150 € - 250 € each.

Here's a photo of both the camera and one example of mine (on Ektar 100) - but I'm no professional landscape photographer by any means! With a suitable small lens the camera can be folded into a nice, compact package.

Longing Embrace (final version)

Edited by Heikki Repo

I shoot with 6x9 rangefinder cameras. One is wide, one is a little wide, and they have fixed lenses, so not what you’re looking for.

My one challenge these days is that 220 film is EOL, so only 8 exposures per 120 roll.

if I were looking for an SLR today, I would want one with interchangeable magazines to speed reloading.

if you want to consider the rangefinder cameras, my Fuji GW690 cameras sell for about $600, including the fixed lens.

The wide GSW model has a 35mm equivalent 28mm lens (65mm) and makes a large 6x9 negative. It is all mechanical and a leaf shutter with very low vibration, so it can be used on a lightweight tripod.

The GW model has a 90mm (38mm) lens and is about the same price.

Edited by Bruce Greene

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 2:36 PM, Patrick Cooper said:

obvious choices for SLRs with that particular film size would be the Pentax 67 and the Mamiya RB67. Unfortunately, the prices are still insanely high on the used market. 

I wouldn’t have said that prices for the RB67 are insanely high. Compared to the Pentax 67 it’s pretty reasonable. However, I also wouldn’t describe it as an SLR. It’s a big, heavy chunk of metal. With a prism finder, you can use it handheld like an SLR, but honestly, it’s a better experience with the waist level finder and a tripod. I don’t know if Mamiya made a wider lens for it than the 50mm. I tend to use the 65mm more often anyway. If you decide to buy one, try to find one with the 6x8 rotating back, so you can use the 6x8 film backs. I bought mine like that without realizing.

Only the very old Bronicas have mechanical shutters and you'd be taking a chance that far back. And Bronica is nothing like the build quality of a HAsselblad There's no reason to distrust an electronic shutter- you can always use a fresh battery for something important.

If you do go down to 645, you might go for a late model Mamiya- the Super was made until 2006; I remember at Photokina in 2004 they had a natty line of new bodies in bright colours. They're quite handy (not something you can say of the 67) but you do need the prism- you'd get into some very odd positions trying to get a portrait composition with a waist-level finder. I used Supers every day for 4 years in weapons trials where they had a fairly hard life The lenses go down to 24mm. but we never went wider than 45. I see them with an 80mm. at around A$1400 on ebay.

Edited by Mark Dunn

OP, Hasselblad's are cheap. Or go with Pentax 6x7 or Pentax 645. All this film gear is priced at a fraction of their cost when film was king.

I liked the SWC myself. I've always favored superwides.

NSFW

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2016/05/14/what-is-the-coolest-medium-format-film-camera/

I kept my old SWC. I thought about selling it. It is the last of the radioactive glass era. I'm hoping China makes a FF affordable digital back for it someday. Like $1200 or less. 6mp FF would be great. That more than outdoes negative film.

35mm flatbed scanned negative film equals about 3 or 4 mp with a P&S camera. I had all the mp test results vs film online, but Tumblr banned me and deleted all my Tumblr sites in 2019.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

9 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

Only the very old Bronicas have mechanical shutters and you'd be taking a chance that far back. And Bronica is nothing like the build quality of a HAsselblad There's no reason to distrust an electronic shutter- you can always use a fresh battery for something important.

If you do go down to 645, you might go for a late model Mamiya- the Super was made until 2006; I remember at Photokina in 2004 they had a natty line of new bodies in bright colours. They're quite handy (not something you can say of the 67) but you do need the prism- you'd get into some very odd positions trying to get a portrait composition with a waist-level finder. I used Supers every day for 4 years in weapons trials where they had a fairly hard life The lenses go down to 24mm. but we never went wider than 45. I see them with an 80mm. at around A$1400 on ebay.

That's right. Stay way from Bronica if you can help it. I used to have the old TLR Mamiya. Liked it, but didn't like the parallax, so went single lens view. With the SWC I used a ground glass adapter to view thought the lens.

• 2 weeks later...