Pathe Webo "M" refurbish

Gareth Blackstock

Hello,

I recently bought an old Pathe super16 Webo and was hardly surprised when it showed up with a few issues.  Seems most non-shop owning ebay sellers these days are "selling on behalf of another person" which seems to mean "I have no idea if it works so don't send it back!"

Anyway, it was cheap and I have been keen on getting one for awhile so I can tinker with it.  It came with an issue, film take-up cog not turning, very noisy operation, and generally grotty.  After a bit of poking around I fixed the issues, detailed my progress below, and now just have to shoot some test footage to make sure the shutter angle is ok.  

http://canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com/pathe-webo-m-super-16.php

If anyone has extra info I can add to my site please let me know.

I am next moving onto getting my Auricon CM72 working.... gonna be a hard one I think....

Cheers, Gareth

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, Gareth Blackstock said:

Hello,

I recently bought an old Pathe super16 Webo and was hardly surprised when it showed up with a few issues.  Seems most non-shop owning ebay sellers these days are "selling on behalf of another person" which seems to mean "I have no idea if it works so don't send it back!"

Anyway, it was cheap and I have been keen on getting one for awhile so I can tinker with it.  It came with an issue, film take-up cog not turning, very noisy operation, and generally grotty.  After a bit of poking around I fixed the issues, detailed my progress below, and now just have to shoot some test footage to make sure the shutter angle is ok.  

http://canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com/pathe-webo-m-super-16.php

If anyone has extra info I can add to my site please let me know.

I am next moving onto getting my Auricon CM72 working.... gonna be a hard one I think....

Cheers, Gareth

Congrats on fixing the Webo! I think you should offer servicing for the cameras you know how to fix - when I rounded up Hollywood camera repair shops, no one knew what the Webo was or how to fix it (thankfully it wasn't broken...). You might be able to make some money repairing people's 16mm cameras. One thing that might hinder people's google searches when looking for you is that the title of your webpage for the Webo is "Canon 814/1014/1218 repair" (also here).

Congrats for your efforts in fixing the camera. Are you planning on using it? Feel free to share some footage if you do!

Hello,

Thanks for that, I enjoy a challenge.  However, offering to repair for money?  Thats a bit beyond my skill level... my stuff is strictly "clean, lube, re-assemble... and hope for the best"  Thankfully the small mistakes I do make are minor and only on my gear.  With out being trained and having the right tools I would be too nervous of screwing up someone's perfect shot.  Thats why i always run a 100 feet or so through to be sure.

I may later try to sell it, but in Australia the 16mm film market is very small, amatuer filmmaking even smaller...

cheers, Gareth

I think I’ll say it here, the pellicle mirror is fragile and can break and is almost impossible to get. I just tried a microscope slide cover and it works, the microscope slide covers are incredibly cheap.

Edited by Pavan Deep

On 10/24/2020 at 3:33 AM, Pavan Deep said:

I think I’ll say it here, the pellicle mirror is fragile and can break and is almost impossible to get. I just tried a microscope slide cover and it works, the microscope slide covers are incredibly cheap.

This is great, Pavan - care to share some pics of the repair process as well? (if you have) - thanks!

I have tested it out of the camera, with a lens mounted on a camera front the slide as a mirror and a ground glass screen to focus the image, I am surprised that the image is very clear.  Now I need to figure out how to cut the slide to permanently fit into the camera and test it with film.

I’m not using a Webo I need to cut to fit my reflex unit;

Pav

B9C3B0BC-1024-48E2-88EB-55D37A68B720.jpeg

Edited by Pavan Deep