Advice Needed For Changing Aspect Ratio

Willem Jansen

• Premium Member

I'am editing a short film that I shot this Summer, and I would like to change the aspect ratio. I'm working with iMovie as this is the only program I have to my availability right now. I hope anyone knows how to do this? I would like to change it to either 4:3 or 16:9.

I included a screenshot as I also would like to cut away the left and right side of the film a bit.

Schermafbeelding_2020-09-14_om_22_48_31.png

Willem, hit me up if you need help - I have experience in both Resolve and Premiere Pro. 
Personally I don't see the need to do anything frame by frame. In your NLE, change the resolution of your timeline to the resolution you would like to finish your project in and fit/frame/crop the content you place in the timeline to your liking. 

Very curious to see more frames of your short btw! 

• Upvote 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:43 AM, Abdul Rahman Jamous said:

if I were you I would do that frame by frame via Photoshop. 

That's actually probably one of the worst ways to do it. There are plenty of non destructive ways in NLEs to crop and reframe, and they can do it In real time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

My apologies for not replying any sooner, but after spending some time to get to know DaVinci Resolve, I was able to get the ratio I wanted and give the film an overall "cleaner" look.

I've posted a topic in the "Please critique my work" section with a link to the film ?

Thanks for the advice!