ACHTEL 9×7 65 Megapixel Motion camera

YongLee

17 minutes ago, AJ Young said:

Matthew Allard, ACS did a really great break down of the camera, costs, and what it can do.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/09/14/achtel-9x7-65-megapixel-motion-picture-camera/

Spoiler alert, the price tag: $143,000 USD

It's worth noting that there is currently a debate going on over at CML about whether some of those specs are accurate. Time will tell, but for now it's probably best not to consider them confirmed.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 6:09 AM, Stuart Brereton said:

It's worth noting that there is currently a debate going on over at CML about whether some of those specs are accurate. Time will tell, but for now it's probably best not to consider them confirmed.

It's a fact that it's 9Kx7K, which is itself very impressive. But they do make a rather questionable claim that the image is so good that you can upsample it to 2x. Sorry but if the data isn't there, it isn't there. Of course there are smart ways and dumb ways to upsample, but it's still upsampling.

I did check out the DNG sample frames and they look great.

18 hours ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

It's a fact that it's 9Kx7K, which is itself very impressive. But they do make a rather questionable claim that the image is so good that you can upsample it to 2x. Sorry but if the data isn't there, it isn't there. Of course there are smart ways and dumb ways to upsample, but it's still upsampling.

I did check out the DNG sample frames and they look great.

Let's be honest, though, up scaling past what the camera can already shoot is reserved for the largest of screens like IMAX. That makes sense, given the person who created and developed this camera shoots for IMAX.

On 9/21/2020 at 6:11 AM, AJ Young said:

Let's be honest, though, up scaling past what the camera can already shoot is reserved for the largest of screens like IMAX. That makes sense, given the person who created and developed this camera shoots for IMAX.

I honestly don't think that you need to upsample a 9K sensor for IMAX. Even on a screen 100' high, each pixel would be 1/8" high or something around there.

1 hour ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

I honestly don't think that you need to upsample a 9K sensor for IMAX. Even on a screen 100' high, each pixel would be 1/8" high or something around there.

True! In fact, James Neihouse ASC shot IMAX films digitally in 4k with the C500 and those films cleared the muster. The specs alone for the 9x7 will meet IMAX needs. ?