Negative fill on ceilings.

• Premium Member

Tape black cloth up there... there is a lightweight black tablecloth material that is light enough to be held up with paper tape if duvetine is too heavy. But you'll have to deal with some sag unless you work in smaller sections, or are allowed to put a few carefully placed staples into the ceiling. Duvetine is still better because it has less of a shine than the lightweight material.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:22 PM, David Mullen ASC said:

Tape black cloth up there... there is a lightweight black tablecloth material that is light enough to be held up with paper tape if duvetine is too heavy. But you'll have to deal with some sag unless you work in smaller sections, or are allowed to put a few carefully placed staples into the ceiling. Duvetine is still better because it has less of a shine than the lightweight material.

Thanks. I bought some disposal 108x54 black table cloths off amazon. Tested them out on my ceiling that has a super glossy popcorn celling and the worst for painters or gaffer tape to stick to. But got it to work, the table cloths are lite enough along with really digging in the painter tape into the popcorn celling to hold. It has been holding all day. My spot meter was getting 1/4 to 1/5 of the amount of light bounced off the white ceiling. 

Yeah not as good as Duvetine for negative fill but for the scenarios I need this for it will be extremely helpful. 

Yes, the taped loose black cloth is a quick and easy fix that works when you don't have a studio ceiling. If one has a pre-light day, an effective method to increase the effectiveness is to wet the cloth, crumple it badly, like keep it crumpled under some weight for a couple of hours, and then letting it dry out without stretching it... That hardens in the crush, and makes it more effective at absorbing the spills and bounce, just like a diffuser or baffles for sound

• Premium Member

I'm used to using black paper. 

Easy to put in, it is extremely lightweight, you can put it up with normal cellotape and it comes in super big rolls.

20 minutes ago, Tanul Dilwali said:

Yes, the taped loose black cloth is a quick and easy fix that works when you don't have a studio ceiling. If one has a pre-light day, an effective method to increase the effectiveness is to wet the cloth, crumple it badly, like keep it crumpled under some weight for a couple of hours, and then letting it dry out without stretching it... That hardens in the crush, and makes it more effective at absorbing the spills and bounce, just like a diffuser or baffles for sound

That's interesting!
Thanks for the tip!! ? 

Have a lovely day.