Feature Film "AIR"

Hi all!

We're continuing our journey into the making of our first independent, feature-length film. I posted some still pics a while ago, and we now have video up... You can check out our first teaser trailer at:

http://air.throughaglass.com

With "AIR" we're trying to make the first modern musical, told through three interweaving stories that take place in and around Kansas City. We're almost done with the first two thirds and will be shooting the remaining story this spring.

In the meantime, we'd love to hear any thoughts and/or comments on the trailer!

Best,

Jeremy Osbern

looks great - all shot with a 2C?

I Love the music!

I love the camera movement

I love the pan whip from the car toll to the accident to the man walking

I only have 2 small issues - which may be intentional (I am not sure of the story)

Has the dancer seen her footage on stage - the bit where she does a jete (Splits) - She might have an issue with it

The lighting is fantastic every where except there are 2 scenes where it looks a little "low key TV soap" - the guy in the "resturant" just before we see her through the windscreen - and the guy with the shotgun - otherwise it looks like it has a nice TK and well shot! The problem is the rest is so well lit (in my view) that those 2 scenes stand out as "weird" from the first time I saw them

My 2 favourite shots are the shots of Sarah and Dan near the end after their name text appears - they look like natural actors

my 2 cents of honest feedback

thanks

Rolfe

Thanks for the response, Rolfe.

Most of the film is being shot with the 2C, except a solid week of dialogue scenes that we shot with a BL4S, that we really didn't want to ADR.

The music is by Steve Unruh, who composed the song to play over a key scene in the movie. All of the music in the film, as sung by the characters, is also composed by him as well, and I'm very excited by how good the music is!

Every shot in the trailer is from a one light of the footage. I'll put up more trailers / footage as we have it, and thanks again for the comments!

~Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

interesting trailer -- do the characters sing pop songs like this 'spontaniously" like in a broadway musical, or is it integrated in a more naturalistic way? How did you format your script to accomodate the singing vs. character movement. I'm working on a more traditional (I think) musical script myself and have found almost no resources out there, seems like a free for all in terms of storyboarding, etc.

best of luck

G

interesting trailer -- do the characters sing pop songs like this 'spontaniously" like in a broadway musical, or is it integrated in a more naturalistic way? How did you format your script to accomodate the singing vs. character movement. I'm working on a more traditional (I think) musical script myself and have found almost no resources out there, seems like a free for all in terms of storyboarding, etc.

best of luck

G

We're trying to integrate the songs a little more seemlessly, so that the transition is a little smoother than something you'd see on stage, but it is still a musical. For resources, look at all the older musicals, especially "Singin' in the Rain," and then try to apply those structures to modern day.

Best of luck with your project!