canon HD primes

david_morrison

Hi all,

I'm shooting a movie in upstate NY. I'm using the Sony F-900/3 and it seems all we can afford are the Canon primes. T 2.1.

Have any of you used that series? any drawbacks or pluses?

we can't afford the Digi-primes do please be nice.

thanks in advance,

David Morrison

• Premium Member

We have them in our rental department and as far as I've been told they're as good as the DigiPrime. But I don;t have any first hand experience with them.

Call the number in my signature and ask for Jon. He's our lens guy and knows all abou 'em.

• Premium Member
i think they are the older ones.

what have you heard?

what's the difference?

David

The older ones were not very sharp when shot wide-open - pretty much you would be better off with a modern HD zoom (the ones the breathe very little) rather than waste your time dealing with a set of primes that aren't very good unless stopped down.

Canon realized that they were inadequate which is why they redesigned them. The new generation are competitive with the new Fujinon primes, maybe even close to Zeiss Digi-Prime quality.

I believe the first generation were called EJ and the new generation FJ. They introduced the first FJ's in 2002 so perhaps that's what you're looking at. The EJ's must have been introduced before 2000.