Super 8 cameras general

Alessandro Malfatti

I realize there have been some similar threads, but I'd like to compile a general overview of what cameras are still practical and reliable at least for next couple of years/decades.

So I ask anyone with more knowledge than me to add his bit of information on what brands and models are still good to go, which ones have exposure correction or manual override, and which ones contain technology that is doomed to imminent failure.

In my case I'd be interested in a mid-range model, something not too expensive, without much bells and whistles but if possible manual exposure override, and of course no problematic technology. I've owned two Nizos before which sadly have become unusable in recent times.

Have you considered Doublesuper8mm?  Pro8mm has been getting bulk orders from Kodak.  The Bolex, Canon and some other cameras are really well made and seem to be selling for around $600-$700.  The advantage in buying/processing 100 foot rolls is you get 200 feet of Super8mm film for much, much less than you would four Super8mm carts.  These cameras also have real metal film pressure plates and some have c mount lens brackets.  Some of the Russian cameras can be quite good and can be purchased very cheaply.

13 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

There are so many S8mm cameras it is hard to really get a scope.

I have a few nikon R10 cameras which are fantastic. I also have some small cheap S8 cameras which are also great.

Nikon R 10 is said to be great and one of the best Super 8-Cams ever built (I never owned one myself), but it's high end, not mid-range.

May be the Canon Autozoom 814 ( all metal and mechanic, but heavy - but not as heavy as the Nikon R 10!) or its successor, the Canon Autozoom 814 Electronic (more electronics, not so heavy but more facilities ) better match the description given by Alessandro Malfatti? Both cameras offer manual exposure. The lenses are great.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

It depends on what you want to do with them. If you're looking for the best quality (then maybe check out 16mm) there are cameras like the Beaulieu 4008 but if you're just looking to pick up a camera and shoot for fun, something like a Nizo 156 or Canon 310xl might be the ticket. Super 8 is best for me when you can hand off a camera to an 8 year old and have them shoot a vacation video. The Beaulieu will give amazing results and can still be serviced with factory parts & modern batteries by Björn Andersson in Sweden. Some of the cheaper cameras are have plastic gears that are failing left & right on the 40+ year old ones.

https://www.super8.tv/en/super8service/bjoern-andersson-filmkonsult-svebaco-kb/