Pneumatic caster choice with hydraulic brakes?

Bryan Fowler

Hi ladies and gents.

I'm possibly building a custom cart for all my...rocks....or something.

I think having casters that have a remote handbrake would be awesome. Hydraulic would be cool if Google hasn't helped me find anything.

I'm guessing the cart and all the... rocks... will be 800-1000lbs max. Can't imagine it being more, but you never know. 
Any thoughts?

Thanks guys. 

I looked through Backstage's website. I didn't see where I could buy the wheels / casters, with or without breaks.

Luckily I won't have to pack these up, since they'll live on the cart they'll be welded (or bolted) on, in the back of the sprinter. 

I know Inovativ has some very nice ones, and it looks like the disk brake was something custom for them. I'll keep looking, and maybe call them and see if they have ideas.

is this cart really for rocks? 800-1000lbs?

A muscle cart with just 20 25lbs sandbags is 500lbs.

I wouldn't want to be manhandling any cart more that using Grip cart pneumatic tires/casters.

But if you do, your options are the casters with brakes built in to the yoke or  build the hand/foot lever brake system used on grip/electric carts where a bar presses against two of the wheels.

sorry. humor over internet is weird. = ) 

No rocks planned. I'm basically wanting to copy, or mimic a super duz-all mini cart, to fit in my sprinter a little better. So a few Cstands, 4x4 things, a skypanel and some shot bags won't be near 800lbs. At least I don't think.

I was considering 10in wheels for better clearance coming down the back ramp. (no lift gate on my sprinter) And maybe a little easier rolling over art dept's feet. (joke)

Hoping to find something with a hand brake system so whoever is rolling it down the ramp can easily stop it from getting away from them.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'd like to find some really narrow ones, more like the front wheels of a wheelchair, so that they can pack down between the two shelves on a collapsible cart (and the wheelchair ones are non-marking). All the collapsible carts I've seen have used wheels with tyres at least 2" thick, which makes for an unnecessarily bulky package even when it's all collapsed down. It needs to have pneumatic tyres, of course, or foam-filled ones of equivalent performance, but I'd almost given up on finding an off the shelf solution.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bryan Fowler said:

Thanks guys. 

I looked through Backstage's website. I didn't see where I could buy the wheels / casters, with or without breaks.

Luckily I won't have to pack these up, since they'll live on the cart they'll be welded (or bolted) on, in the back of the sprinter. 

I know Inovativ has some very nice ones, and it looks like the disk brake was something custom for them. I'll keep looking, and maybe call them and see if they have ideas.

They build their carts, including the brake mechanism.  The casters they buy are pretty vanilla, can be purchased most anywhere.  If you are going to be on hard floors, tile, finished hardwood, terrazzo, you may want to choose non-marking tires.

https://casterconnection.com/

Edited by JD Hartman