Les Bosher - Anyone been in touch lately?

Alexander Boyd

Sent in a lens for rehousing about three months ago, and haven‘t heard back since then. Several emails, tried to call him as well. Has anyone been in touch lately? I figured with a high reputation as his, he wouldn‘t just disappear and rip off people?

Edited by Alexander Boyd

• 1 year later...

I’ve been sending him email after email for 6 months. I sent my camera to have its mount modified. Since he is not responding to any of my emails, I’ve requested to cancel the modification and have him send my camera back. He has not responded even to that request. So unless something else has happened to him. He is knowingly keeping my property, which is completely unacceptable

• Upvote 1

I sent him my camera to be modified in February, he answered very promptly and notified me when he had received it in March. I'm not expecting it to be finished any time soon, on the contrary, it might take several months. That's not an estimate from Les (I didn't even ask for one) but rather based on what I have heard from others who had recently their cameras modified.

I also was in touch with him regarding a camera that is being sold on this forum and received an answer the next day. That happened this week.

Even back in 2013 when I had another camera of mine modified by him Les was every now and then on vacation and semi-retired. Now it's 2022 and the amount of work has most likely gotten bigger since 2013 due to the resurgence of film. 

Your mileage may vary, just some things to keep in mind.

Okay so les is clearly active on the internet. Which means he has likely checked his emails, and knowingly keeping my camera. Guess it makes sense to contact the local authorities to retrieve it off of him now.

Edited by Seth Baldwin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seth Baldwin said:

Okay so les is clearly active on the internet. Which means he has likely checked his emails, and knowingly keeping my camera. Guess it makes sense to contact the local authorities to retrieve it off of him now.

Communication with Les via Email is basically non-existent. It took him months replying a simple email. However, reaching him via phone was much easier. So instead of contacting the authorities I‘d recommend trying to call him (if you haven‘t already) since he does great work, it‘s just the communication aspect that is kind of a nightmare.

Edited by Alexander Boyd

2 hours ago, Seth Baldwin said:

Okay, I’ll have to pay for an international call to get in contact with him. It’s so odd how he just ignores emails for months on end.

Maybe use a VOIP if cost is concern? That's how I talk to my brother in Melbourne a few times a month.

Phil Forrest

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 5:05 PM, Seth Baldwin said:

I’ve been sending him email after email for 6 months. I sent my camera to have its mount modified. Since he is not responding to any of my emails, I’ve requested to cancel the modification and have him send my camera back. He has not responded even to that request. So unless something else has happened to him. He is knowingly keeping my property, which is completely unacceptable

Hey Seth,

It's bad feeling when a piece of your equipment is delayed, somewhere else, and you can't get any communication. But in Les' case you just have to be tolerant...semi retired, often on holiday, too many emails, noisy machine shop, too many phone messages, and a lot of jobs to do. 

Sending a lot of emails and phone messages may just make it worse. It may be too late now, but with a camera mod in the queue, a single email, marked urgent, would stand out. 

You can put Whatsapp on your cell phone for free and call anywhere on earth for free using your data allowance. The idea suggested of letting the phone ring might work, if the messaging is switched off.

Your assumption above, that he has read your emails and is (thus) knowingly keeping your property, is flawed...

Gregg,

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight everyone. Yeah I understand he’s an older guy and has a lot on his plate, I shouldn’t be jumping to conclusions too fast. Over the past 6 months I’ve sent 3 emails in total. Useful advice to try and call through whatsapp but I think I’ll just forget the camera exists and buy a new one. My timeline was much much shorter for this kind of wait. Unfortunately I wasn’t given an ETC upon request. So I suppose I had it coming.

Edited by Seth Baldwin

• 1 year later...