Blurred Footage Near End of Roll

Trevor Roach

Hi everyone,

Did some shooting a few weeks back, three rolls of 7219, all from Pro8mm. First two rolls worked great, but the moment I loaded up the third roll, the problems began. 

As I started rolling with my Beaulieu 6008s, I kept getting an error light after a few seconds of "rolling". After some trial and error with the sharpie trick, I figured out the cartridge was jammed. I tried multiple times the slap trick to loosen the film, to no avail. Eventually, I watched a Pro8mm video that suggested pulling some of the film out gently, then rolling it back into the cartridge. 

This appeared to work, and I continued the next day shooting, finishing out the roll. 

I got the footage back, and everything came out wonderful, besides the last half of that final 3rd roll. It was more or less blurry, and would pop in and out of focus. I've attached a clip where you can see this happening (both graded and log). 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ai1fvD82pZL5i7mGggdKIkt07RwXcE9P/view?usp=sharing

Is this an issue with the cartridges pressure plate and the film being previously jammed, or could it be an issue that is coming from the camera? Wondering peoples thoughts....

34 minutes ago, Andries Molenaar said:

Seems to me to blame it on the cartridge ?

Yeah, it makes the most sense, considering the camera seems to be running perfectly, and the other two rolls didn't have issues. 

On a positive note, the other footage came back nice, haha. 

greg1_1.8.1-min-2-2.jpg

greg1_1.12.1-min-2.jpg

greg1_1.34.1-min-2.jpg

greg1_1.4.3-min-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for the complements! Sorry for the delay, just got off a month long show (grateful to be working a job this long during covid). 

I'll check into the lens mount, I'm guessing it was the cartridge and pressure plate acting up, but looking into the lens isn't a bad suggestion either. I'm about to shoot some more with it soon and would like to make sure it's working properly.