The Mandalorian

I’ve been obsessed with this show, I just watched the latest episodes from season 2 and I think it’s a complete masterwork. To begin with the images are so captivating, it just demands your attention, they’re so hypnotic and beautiful! I think Jon Favreau is a complete genius, to deliver quality episodes all the time and engage the viewer from beginning to end is tremendous feat.

Also as a side note, I think I want to pursue graphic novels, it’s basically a movie on paper, there’s a lot of great artists on DeviantArt, so I think it’s the best way instead of going out and shoot short videos and spending so much money, but I think Mando is the best show around! Love it to death!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yes, it is very well-made and evocative. In a weird way, I think quality streaming shows like "The Queen's Gambit", "The Crown", "The Mandalorian", which often take their time, not being constricted by the 2-hour limit of a feature film, are reprogramming the viewer to accept "slowness" in storytelling again, where you can have scenes that are just about character or just create a mood.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

First season was excellent, but this takes it a step further. Don't forget the directors involved, though Jon is the showrunner.

Baz Idoine really came into his own after shooting 2nd unit for Fraser for so long. Matthew Jensen (Wonder Woman) also putting in some excellent work. There's also an amazing moment in the first episode that screams IMAX but it's best not to spoil it for those who haven't watched it yet.  

Wish it was shot on film but I feel the Alexa LF + Ultra Vista combo works beautifully here and although it doesn't look that far removed from Rogue One, I prefer the look here. 

It's insane to see the production values you get on shows like this, or See (Apple TV, a must see), etc. 

Edited by Manu Delpech

4 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Yes, it is very well-made and evocative. In a weird way, I think quality streaming shows like "The Queen's Gambit", "The Crown", "The Mandalorian", which often take their time, not being constricted by the 2-hour limit of a feature film, are reprogramming the viewer to accept "slowness" in storytelling again, where you can have scenes that are just about character or just create a mood.

Yes! I am embracing these shows more than the feature films that are being made today! They’re not bulky, they are straight to the point and you spend time with the character, it’s just an open world and there is no hurry to get to the end, it’s always evolving and Star Wars has such a massive world. 

ive heard many great things about Queen’s Gambit, I’m actually a huge fan of Anya Taylor Joy when I saw her in ‘Emma’ so I will watch the show soon as I don’t like watching too many different shows at the same time. 

This is really the future of cinema, where characters and worlds can be explored without necessarily “ending” so abruptly. 

19 minutes ago, Manu Delpech said:

First season was excellent, but this takes it a step further. Don't forget the directors involved, though Jon is the showrunner.

Baz Idoine really came into his own after shooting 2nd unit for Fraser for so long. Matthew Jensen (Wonder Woman) also putting in some excellent work. There's also an amazing moment in the first episode that screams IMAX but it's best not to spoil it for those who haven't watched it yet.  

Wish it was shot on film but I feel the Alexa LF + Ultra Vista combo works beautifully here and although it doesn't look that far removed from Rogue One, I prefer the look here. 

It's insane to see the production values you get on shows like this, or See (Apple TV, a must see), etc. 

I like the homage to “The Man With No Name” mystique, everything from the costume design to the lighting, every frame is telling a story and it’s difficult because Mando wears the chrome helmet, but you can still feel the performance! It’s really cinematic magic, and it’s true to George Lucas original vision I like the JJ Abrahams Star Wars universe, which I loathe! The recent episode was directed by Bruce Dallas Howard and she has become an amazing artist. I also saw Sasha Banks (Mercedes Varanasi) had a role, she is amazing, she will become a huge Hollywood star, I loved her in “The Heiress” chapter. 

1 hour ago, Manu Delpech said:

I like the homage to “The Man With No Name” mystique, everything from the costume design to the lighting, every frame is telling a story and it’s difficult because Mando wears the chrome helmet, but you can still feel the performance! It’s really cinematic magic, and it’s true to George Lucas original vision , UNLIKE the JJ Abrahams Star Wars universe, which I loathe! The recent episode was directed by Bruce Dallas Howard and she has become an amazing artist. I also saw Sasha Banks (Mercedes Varanasi) had a role, she is amazing, she will become a huge Hollywood star, I loved her in “The Heiress” chapter. 

Edited by Josh Gallegos

I really liked the Bryce directed episode.
Can't point the finger why but it looked and felt good.

And the last one, Chapter 12, directed by Karl Weathers.
Great action, superb chase scene.

I am starting to like the show more... ?

Since i watched the making of, with the projected environment studio setup,
i keep analyzing and figuring out which scene is how done on that stage. ?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Igor Trajkovski said:

Since i watched the making of, with the projected environment studio setup,
i keep analyzing and figuring out which scene is how done on that stage. ?

A couple years ago I shot a series of commercials where we used 20 foot LED screens for the backgrounds.  It was fine for what we were doing because you got real reflections of the background in glasses and shiny surfaces and things like that, but overall it was pretty limiting, because we had to line up our shots with the angles we shot the backgrounds or it would look fake.  You could do a little camera movement if you were on a long lens and the background was really out of focus, but other than that we had to stay pretty locked into the angles we shot the backgrounds.  The behind the scenes of this show knocked my socks off.  Unbelievable what they created with LED.  I think this show looks absolutely fantastic.

On 11/23/2020 at 4:41 PM, Justin Hayward said:

The behind the scenes of this show knocked my socks off.  Unbelievable what they created with LED.  I think this show looks absolutely fantastic.

I firmly believe this technology will only get cheaper, and quickly. Unreal Engine (the software used on Mando) is already free to use. I would imagine small LED studios will start popping up soon across major cities at affordable rates soon.

Hell, you can even use this tech right now with a big LED TV! ? (Albeit, for insert shots or ECU's)

• Like 1

Chapter 13 - The Jedi, has the return of a "Clone Wars" & "Rebels" favorite character,
Luke Skywalker's apprentice Ahsoka Tano.

Some Kurosawa moments in it:

4syK2yt.jpeg

Image found on Imgur (https://imgur.com/t/mandalorian/Pdmh2wo)

Chapter 14, was GREAT, won't spoil anything, just being surprised it was directed by Robert Rodriguez.

• Like 1