(16mm) Scan lines or Scratches?

Bravo Michael Nwosu

Hello,

I recieved my scans a few days ago, and noticed brown consistent line (shifting) running down the edge of the frame for about 370' of a roll. I had two rolls processed and the other (300') does not have this issue. I used two separate mags, so the lab is suggesting that the line or 'scratch' is a result of the mag that was used. I'm not too familiar with this issue so I am unsure, but I did painfully un-spool my order, and found no line of the sort with either my eye, nor a magnifying glass. 

I wanted to post a few screenshots here to run it by this community just to have some closure on the issue. These will be stills, but when moving, the line jitters and in some cases are more faint in other spots. There is also an instance when the line shifts 2 inches, and then back again. Additionally, there are some frames where I see double lines. 

uJxE3Qd.png

BH92ZmD.png

I7RIEpy.png

Edited by Bravo Michael Nwosu

• Premium Member

A colored line would indicate a scratch on the emulsion side of the film. Definitely run a scratch test with the magazine in question.

If the scratch is moving around, then it might just be a film chip that’s stuck in the magazine throat and simply needs to be blown out with air. When loading film in the future, it’s good practice to always blow out the magazine with compressed air to remove any dust or film chips that might have settled inside before going into the changing bag. You can also use a soft camel hair brush to remove dust.

• Upvote 2

Hello,

I have also 16BL and had the same scratches on my first test run of the camera. What I learned is that my gate had some tiny residue of the emulsion stuck to it.  Take a good magnifying glass or take a closeup picture with your phone and clean the gate with orange stick  before every run.

Edited by George Majewski
  • Upvote 1

On 11/22/2020 at 9:17 AM, George Majewski said:

Hello,

I have also 16BL and had the same scratches on my first test run of the camera. What I learned is that my gate had some tiny residue of the emulsion stuck to it.  Take a good magnifying glass or take a closeup picture with your phone and clean the gate with orange stick  before every run.

Thank you for the insight. I believe that is exactly what happened, and I will check the gate thoroughly next time

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 8:17 AM, George Majewski said:

Hello,

what is orange stick?