DIT / Data - Trying to speed up offloads

• Premium Member

one of the problems with DIT gear is that the software used tends to seriously limit your hardware options. For example if you need to use Silverstack you have to use Macintosh to run it.  I don't think any DIT would risk transfers by running it on Hackintosh or something. It becomes much more complicated if you use additional gear like LTO drives etc. which are not necessarily compatible with all systems.

writing mac-formatted drives on PC or ntfs-formatted on Mac is not a problem at all. by my testing the Paragon plugins actually DO work on this application. so one does not need to purchase a certain branded computer just to be able to copy few files to a portable drive. The actual "dit software" is more of a problem here (and the fact that if a person or a company already has the macbook purchased they would not want to spend 2 or 3k AGAIN to purchase new laptop/whatever for every production. So partially it is about using what you already have. One does not switch camera bodies every 3 months either even when the manufacturers present new ones multiple times a year...) 

I don’t think anyone else has mentioned this yet: which usb port you plug a drive into on your computer may have a significant effect on transfer speed. This is even for ports of the same generation(usb 1,2 or 3). 

I believe it’s because of how the ports are connected internally, sometimes the bandwidth is shared between more than one port. 

You can probably use black magic’s free disk speed checker to see if there is any difference between ports on your computer. 

—-

BTW, as Phil said, having power supply isn’t much of a guide to a drive being fast. Some of the fastest external drives are now ssds without psus, e.g Samsung T5. 

Edited by Mei Lewis
Changed my mind!

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Mei Lewis said:

I don’t think anyone else has mentioned this yet: which usb port you plug a drive into on your computer may have a significant effect on transfer speed. This is even for ports of the same generation(usb 1,2 or 3). 

The situation with USB naming conventions is beyond the absurd.

Deep breath: USB 3.0 was previously called USB 3.1 generation 1, but is now called USB 3.2 generation 1, while USB 3.1 is now USB 3.2 generation 2, and was previously USB 3.1 generation 2. USB 3.2 was always referred to as such, but has a suffix: “USB 3.2 Gen 2 × 2.”

When I'm on the road I download to bus powered WD 1TB SSD drives which are routinely 300mbs using Hedge. Whenever I use mains powered 7200rpm drives the download is always 170mbs. It doesn't matter one bit who has made it or what the cache size is it is always the same. 

The original posters problem is the bus powered spinning hard drives. I personally won't touch anything made by LaCie having had numerous failures in years gone by. 

Huge fan of Hedge. 

3 hours ago, Patrick Baldwin said:

When I'm on the road I download to bus powered WD 1TB SSD drives which are routinely 300mbs using Hedge. Whenever I use mains powered 7200rpm drives the download is always 170mbs. It doesn't matter one bit who has made it or what the cache size is it is always the same. 

The original posters problem is the bus powered spinning hard drives. I personally won't touch anything made by LaCie having had numerous failures in years gone by. 

Huge fan of Hedge. 

Yes the discussion re speeds BUS or AC was of course in reference to HDD not SSD..  unfortunately HDD are still the norm when provided by production , as I said, the last shoot I finished just last week,  BBC / ZDF / Arte  co production with plenty of budget ,it was actually a direct demand from production , as they said their insurance had stipulated  LaCie rugged .. if I had refused they would have had to find another cameraman .. or insurance company .. !

23 minutes ago, Patrick Baldwin said:

I hear you and I would of course use them given that ultimatum. They must be in love with at orange rubber look!

I dont know if its a particularly UK thing .. but almost always send out a director with the Orange rubber drives .. its pretty much standard ..