Hi8 Recorded Film Issue

Erik Whitlock

Erik Whitlock I'm sorry to hear of this issue.  I think I have to agree with Frank Wylie that due to clogged or partially clogged video recording heads, this was recorded in the original recording.  Being a user of the Video 8mm format as well, I have experienced similar issues in all 3 versions of this [Video 8mm, Hi-8 Video, & Digital-8mm].  What sometimes happen is that the clog clears up, thus later sections being recorded normally or close to it. [actually the clog isn't completely cleared up, but enough has been removed via tape transport to render a better recording].  If any of the other machines you used were working fine and had clean playback heads, then this would've disappeared.  

As for tape transport, it is a good idea with all types of video tape to forward them to the end, and then rewind them evenly [a slight tilt to the machine helps, if the tape doesn't wind up evenly....do a short test first].    I also need to add.....keep ALL of the original recording materials [home movies, photos, negs, slides, video tapes etc] and keep them safe somewhere in the living space.  While digital is handy, it also can be fleeting due to technology changes where migrating to the newer tech in time is necessary.....and of course....do NOT rely on lifetime storage for DVDs, CDs or Blu-Rays, and back up any computer or external hard drive storage.  Keep in mind....the original material, can easily outlast your own lifetime, and thus should be protected for future transfers, should anything happen to the digital files or storage devices.

Best of luck with digitizing all your family's precious memories!