What the difference between molefay, mole cool, and mole par

I’m considering buying a mole Richardson tungsten based lighting setup. I like to say for the record I’m not wanting this to turn into a debate ant tungsten vs LED as I’m already feeling overwhelmed with technical terms and whatnot?. I seeking clarification on some of mole Richardson’s lighting terms, particularly 

-molefay

-molequartz

-mole cool

- mole par

what do these terms mean and how do they correlate with one another. I can assume mole par is their line of parcan lights, but then what does molefay mean cause all their molefay lights just look like smaller mole pars. 

• Premium Member

A FAY is a 650W tungsten PAR36 globe with dichroic coatings to convert it to daylight.

A Molepar uses a 1000W tungsten PAR64 globe but no extension tube in front, which would make it a PARCAN.

Usually a Molefay uses a bank of FAY globes but they also sold a single globe version.

PARs are sealed beam units like a car headlamp.

A Molequartz is not a sealed unit, it is a reflector dish with a separate quartz-halogen bulb in the center. I think a Molecool had blue glass in front to turn the tungsten light closer to daylight.

• Premium Member

FAYs are PARs. FAY is a General Electric label I believe but I don't know what it stands for, if it technically refers to the connector or not.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/832913-REG/General_Electric_41668_FAY_Lamp_650W_120V.html

We had a discussion here 15 years ago on the topic:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

All their tungsten lamps use quartz halogen bulbs -- PARs, fresnels, etc. -- so the "Molequartz" label is a bit unnecessary. Sort of dates back to 1959 when the industry started switching over to halogen bulbs:

http://www.historyoflighting.net/light-bulb-history/history-of-halogen-lamps/

Again, FAYs are PARs -- they are 650W PAR36 globes instead of 1K PAR64 globes.

2 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

A FAY is a 650W tungsten PAR36 globe with dichroic coatings to convert it to daylight.

A Molepar uses a 1000W tungsten PAR64 globe but no extension tube in front, which would make it a PARCAN.

Usually a Molefay uses a bank of FAY globes but they also sold a single globe version.

PARs are sealed beam units like a car headlamp.

A Molequartz is not a sealed unit, it is a reflector dish with a separate quartz-halogen bulb in the center. I think a Molecool had blue glass in front to turn the tungsten light closer to daylight.

I see now thank you very much Mr. Mullen. Would this mean that a mole cool would be difficult to convert to tungsten use. Ik I can just gel it but would the output loss be, given the main reason I’m purchasing this is given the lights large output.

No I’m wondering whether I would need to filter a mole cool light in order for it to be tungsten. U said something about a glass coating that turns the color temp Closer to daylight. If this is the case then should I avoid molecools as the goal is too have a tungsten light source with a lot of output 

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

FAYs are PARs. FAY is a General Electric label I believe but I don't know what it stands for, if it technically refers to the connector or not.

It's an ANSI code. It doesn't particularly stand for anything, but it does imply a few things about the bulb, including (if I remember correctly) the size, power level, dichroic coating and ferrule connectors. The non-filtered tungsten version would be FCX. 

I've long been looking for an authoritative list of these codes but have never been able to find one. I don't know what the ANSI standard number is for it and it resists googling. More or less everything has an ANSI code; for instance, EGT is a 1kW tungsten-halogen bulb with G22 base that would fit a conventional fresnel. A lot of the PAR36 types (that is, four and a half inches diameter) seem to begin F, but then you'd expect FCX to differ only in one letter as the only thing that's different between FCX and FAY is the presence of a dichroic coating. I have no idea what if any rationale is behind it.

The live events industry (and even parts of the film industry) has a tendency to refer to anything that's an array of sealed-beam lamps as a FAY, even when it's a bunch of 1kW PAR64s, which is of course not really correct.

P

• Like 1