'Sound of Metal' (Amazon Prime) - 35mm/Aaton/Sigma....Oscar winner I predict

• Premium Member

I can't recommend this film enough...its all about the story.....in my top 5 films of 2020 no doubt......the acting is superb....the story is superb and touching....the leading man puts in an engaging, believable, unforgettable performance (for me) .....shot naturalistic style.....uncomplicated lighting (or so it seems!)....hand held at times, eye level......final result beautiful tones and texture...cinematography by Daniel Bouquet.....written and directed by Darius Marder......shot on Aaton Penelope with Sigma lenses......interesting! the first time I see these lenses on a big film.....35mm with 50D, 250D and of course 500T.......

Kodak article:

https://www.kodak.com/en/motion/blog-post/sound-of-metal

and here's the trailer....

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

From the Kodak article linked above:

"Realizing he would need an affordable sync-sound camera configuration, which was also mobile enough to manoeuvre in the smaller spaces of the couple’s RV-cum-sound studio home, Bouquet went with the Aaton Penelope 35mm camera, plus Sigma lenses. “I’m a big fan of the Aaton Penelope because it is very quiet in 2-perf mode, as well as being compact and very lightweight,” says the DP. “Even though they aren’t very costly, the Sigma lenses have been produced with many years of lens knowledge in the back pocket. I did a little test in Amsterdam and chose them because of their character, size, speed and ability to close focus.”

Bouquet selected a trio of KODAK VISION3 filmstocks for the production – namely, 50D 5203, 250D 5207 and 500T 5219. 

“We had a dynamic schedule and preferred to spend our limited amount of production time on performance and to keep the overall look pretty natural,” explains Bouquet. “So I planned to use available light and to keep the lighting set ups minimal, which meant I had to be a little creative with the exposure sensitivity throughout the production."

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Where's the grain? ?

hahah we know its there but all these people seem to think 'smooth' and 'no grain' is what people want!

Uli you are really going to enjoy this film! Definitely an Oscar winner in some department....that's my prediction

Edited by Stephen Perera
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
10 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

so I said it back in December 2020 hahah.....won 2 Oscars after all....and a few nominations too......now perhaps you will all watch it haha

I've been wanting to watch it, but been hoping for a theatrical release. 

On 12/23/2020 at 5:48 AM, Stephen Perera said:

From the Kodak article linked above:

"Realizing he would need an affordable sync-sound camera configuration, which was also mobile enough to manoeuvre in the smaller spaces of the couple’s RV-cum-sound studio home, Bouquet went with the Aaton Penelope 35mm camera, plus Sigma lenses. “I’m a big fan of the Aaton Penelope because it is very quiet in 2-perf mode, as well as being compact and very lightweight,” says the DP. “Even though they aren’t very costly, the Sigma lenses have been produced with many years of lens knowledge in the back pocket. I did a little test in Amsterdam and chose them because of their character, size, speed and ability to close focus.”

The bit about the sigma glass is interesting to me. A friend of mine shoots a lot of still film and says he thinks that the 50mm sigma art he owns looks better on film, and his vintage lenses look best on digital. Which makes sense because the modern sharper glass helps being more out of the softer film medium and vice versa. I’ll have to tell him about this!